Cannot access cache pages with lynx

Team Oodi

For quick access to cache details I planned on using the lynx webbrowser when on the road an connected by dialup. However, lynx doesn't let me look at cache pages. Neither does wget for that matter. The arror message I get is: "Location URL is not absolute."

Has anyone else come across this problem?

quote:
Originally posted by Adi:

For quick access to cache details I planned on using the lynx webbrowser when on the road an connected by dialup. However, lynx doesn't let me look at cache pages. Neither does wget for that matter.

In order to prevent naïve spiders from killing the website, there is some simple pattern-matching on your user-agent string. Unfortunately, Lynx uses a user-agent string that happens to match that pattern, and of course wget also does (it's one of the aforementioned naïve spiders. Note, though, that wget also has an option to change the user-agent header; see the manpage.)

To fix your problem in Lynx, just hit the o key, arrow down to "User-Agent header", and erase the part that says "libwww". Then, arrow down to "accept changes" and try again.

You can probably make this change permanent, but I've never found a need to do so so you'll have to read the manual to find out how.

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

In order to prevent naïve spiders from killing the website, there is some simple pattern-matching on your user-agent string. Unfortunately, Lynx uses a user-agent string that happens to match that pattern, and of course wget also does (it's one of the aforementioned naïve spiders. Note, though, that wget also has an option to change the user-agent header; see the manpage.)

That makes sense. Using --user-agent=mozilla with wget works like a charm.

Thanks

Looks like this silly restriction has been removed, I can access cache pages with "Lynx/2.8.4rel.1 libwww-FM/2.14 SSL-MM/1.4.1 OpenSSL/0.9.6b" without any problems now. Now only if the Next 10 nearest caches didn't use Javascript :-)

Czech caching in US.