What goes in the notes to reviewer box?

Wolfiesden

So, I am planning a couple caches and until I do my first, I am in the steep learning curve of it.

So what are we expected to place in the notes to the reviewer? Should we describe the location and describe placement (basically tell them what to look for so its fast and easy for them) or is the reviewer supposed to actually find the cache as anyone else will once its live using only coords and clues?

You can put any information you think will be helpful to the reviewer to help her/him review the placement of the cache. For instance, you could mention that you got permission for placing the cache at that spot or that a potential hazard that shows on the map is not a hazard at all because of the fence that separates it from the general area.

Reviewers don't have anywhere near the time or fortitude I imagine, to look for the all the caches they review. They just review your submissions for compliance to the rules of the game, which is still one heck of a job. Kudos to all of our reviewers!

So, I am planning a couple caches and until I do my first, I am in the steep learning curve of it.

So what are we expected to place in the notes to the reviewer? Should we describe the location and describe placement (basically tell them what to look for so its fast and easy for them) or is the reviewer supposed to actually find the cache as anyone else will once its live using only coords and clues?

Reviewers do not visit your cache. They will review your cache listing and coordinates to ensure they comply with the guidelines, but that's all they do. Reviewers are generally covering a large area (often several or many states), so there's no way they could visit every location.

The reviewer note isn't mandatory. It's intended to be a spot where you can provide additional information to the reviewer to assist in their understanding of your listing. For example, Google Maps may show a rail line going right by your cache (generally against the guidelines). Let's say that the rail line has recently been removed and converted to a rail trail. This would be good information to provide in a reviewer note, because the reviewer may not have been aware that the rail line had been removed. Reviewer notes are deleted when the cache is published, so other cachers will never see it, so don't worry about putting "spoiler" information in a reviewer note. Just keep in mind that the reviewer will not be visiting your cache site, so all they can go off of when reviewing your cache listing are online resources (like Google Maps), the information you provide in your description, and reviewer notes. If they have any questions or concerns, they'll contact you back to get further information.

I'd recommend reading the guidelines, especially the section on the review process. Also, read the placement guidelines. Then read them again. Repeat until you understand the spirit and intent of them.

Typically you will not need to put anything there. If there is a special request or other info, the reviewer may see it. For example, if you are a long way from home, you may need to include a maintenance plan so the reviewer knows that the cache will not be ignored once you go home. It may also have a request like "please do not publish until Friday".

But for the most part, you can leave it blank.

Actually I did read most of the FAQ including both of those sections that you linked to. Unless I missed it, nowhere does it say a reviewer does or does not visit the cache itself during the review process nor does it indicate any suggestions as to what sort of info to place in the notes box. Your cited example of recently (re)moved tracks is a very good example and this sort of thing should be in the FAQ. I had honestly wondered if they do visit caches given the volume of caches but didn't really know. I do appreciate you clearing up the fact they are only reviewing the listing and not the actual cache site. That helps a lot with my understanding of the process and I thank you for taking the time to cite an example of note information and what the review process is.

The first one I am doing is on my own personal property to eliminate the whole noob aspect of it and dealing with permissions at the same time. Baby steps as it were. My other caches I have planned will require outside permission and I wanted to avoid that aspect on my first run through the system. Once I have run the first cache through the system, I will have the confidence and experience to deal with placing them elsewhere and gaining the permission to do so in a competent and professional manner.

The first one I am doing is on my own personal property to eliminate the whole noob aspect of it and dealing with permissions at the same time.

One suggestion: Make sure you mention in your description that the cache is on your property, so finders don't have to worry about whether permission was obtained or not.

Good luck with your new cache(s)!

The first one I am doing is on my own personal property to eliminate the whole noob aspect of it and dealing with permissions at the same time.

One suggestion: Make sure you mention in your description that the cache is on your property, so finders don't have to worry about whether permission was obtained or not.

Good luck with your new cache(s)!

Excellent point. Its within a couple feet of a sidewalk and a foot of concrete driveway so its not like yall are gonna be trapsing through my back yard setting off my yorkie alarm in the middle of the night. But, having the permission listed clearly is a good point.

It seems like I set off yorkie (or dobie, doxie, etc.) alarms every time I go caching in residential areas. :D

One usage of the reviewer notes is to check proximity. Apparently different reviewers prefer different methods, but I was directed to fill out the cache submission page as if my cache were in place, check the box that says it's in place (even though it's not), and put a note in the reviewer box saying that the cache isn't really in place yet, that I'm checking proximity.

This is helpful when putting together a complicated cache (a multi, puzzle, or even a traditional that has location specific camo) and you don't want to put it all in place only to find that you're too close to a puzzle final, etc.

Because *sigh* there are some puzzles here that I will never, ever manage to solve. :)

The nearest cache that shows in my search around my home location is .2 miles away. Basically its a block west and a block up north from where my physical cache is at. So, it exceeds the minimum spacing requirements.

The next closest cash to the south is 1mi away, next closest east is .3mi, and to the west is .6mi.

So, while its on my property, it seems my location is a nice hole without caches (or challenges) too close and the area is not over saturated either.

I did try to do my homework before deciding on the location. I knew where I wanted it (and about 5 others!). And I lucked out that there is a nice space here one. There is even a landmark nearby that I may turn this one into a 2 stage cache (since virtuals are not possible now) and get folks to visit the landmark thats only a block away.