Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
toponym

Audio tour / GPS tour locations

7 posts in this topic

I have been doing some research regarding audio and GPS tours for an upcoming trip.

How about a Waymarking category which lists any place which offers such an audio or GPS tour? Tours can be conducted using a proprietary device unique to a location such as special headphones rented out to visitors, or they can be conducted using downloaded MP3 files (some tours available on iTunes) or downloadable GPS touring apps. B)

I have been doing some research regarding audio and GPS tours for an upcoming trip.

How about a Waymarking category which lists any place which offers such an audio or GPS tour? Tours can be conducted using a proprietary device unique to a location such as special headphones rented out to visitors, or they can be conducted using downloaded MP3 files (some tours available on iTunes) or downloadable GPS touring apps. B)

Wow I can't believe we don't have that! It seems obvious now and so many places offer that. Good suggestion and I encourage you to pursue it.

According to that category's description - "convey some knowledge, either in the form of interpretive signs or brochures that accompany a numbered path." I don't think so. That category relies on paper handouts or physical signs - my proposal is paperless. Also, that category uses consecutively numbered stations - which correspond to numbered descriptions in the brochure. Mine would be GPS based.

I suppose this could be a sub-set of that category or that category could be changed to include this. I would not be opposed to that. :)

Having done several audio-tours I think those would be unique enough to have their own category.

Any plans for this category proposal to go forward?

Thanks for bringing this idea back! I'm needing to cut back rather than expand my Waymarking commitments, so I can't pursue this. I hope the originator of the thread, or someone else, will pick up this idea and develop it. I suppose the Self-Guided Tour category could be expanded to include these, and that is certainly an option. They are, however, unique enough to warrant a separated category, as checkmark has suggested. We have them in Korea at some of the larger tourist attractions and museums. Sometimes there are other languages available - usually English, Japanese and Chinese. (A good variable for the category).