GPSr loggers?

I hope this isn't too off topic, but I'm hoping the folks here can help... I'm not looking for a device for caching, but rather something to record a GPS log.

I know there are quite a few loggers out there, and what I'm specifically looking for is something that can reliably run for a day or more between charges, and with enough memory to store a log for the same time. Most of the time I'll be using it for single day photo trips and dumping the logs at the end of the day to geo-tag my photos, but I'd also like to be able to keep logs of my motorcycle camping trips, when I won't always have a way to dump the logs or charge the battery each day.

Is this just for geocaching purposes? Or are you referring to other hobbies/interests?

A handheld GPS would be neat for geocaching purposes....

But if you're looking to use like a diary of vacations/trips...and don't necessarily need a GPS....

Laptop/notebook

Mini laptop / net book

Ipad or similar device (battery issues?)

Kindle Fire

You may want something that's wifi capable device that's connected to your home computer - so anything you document in the field (picts, diaries) can be saved on your home computer also.

So depending on exactly what you're looking for....you'll want to research and make sure these items will fit your needs.

This is not for geocaching purposes, which is why I mentioned it being possibly off topic. Sure, being able to cache with it is a bonus, but the other features are more important to me (I currently use my smartphone for caching). I was just hoping someone on here may have some recommendations on devices to look at because I'm not having much luck finding details on how the track logs work on the different devices.

I think I wasn't quite clear in what I need in a device. I'm looking for something I can turn on in the morning and set it to start recording a track log. At that point I want to just stick it in my pocket and let it keep recording until I stop it (sometimes 10-12 hours later). Those logs will then be copied to a PC to use in either overlaying on a map showing the route I rode that day, or matching timestamps in the log with the timestamp of photos I took on the trip to add location data to the photos. (I know there are programs that will do either of these functions once I've got the log data)

A lot of devices (e.g. the Garmin eTrex 20) show in the specs things like "Track log: 10,000 points, 200 saved tracks" but I can't seem to find if that's 10,000 points per track or total. 10K points is just enough to get me a 12 hour track with a point every 5 seconds.

Because some of my motorcycle trips involve an overnight or two at campgrounds, battery life could be an issue. A device that can record for 20-30 hours between recharges would be best, or even one that I can swap out AA batteries each day.

Again, I realize this may be off topic a bit, but I was hoping I might find someone here who know about non-caching GPSr devices also. I've done quite a bit of googling, but I'm having troubles narrowing down on the track log features, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you looked at the eTrex Legend Hcx?

Battery life on it was pretty great. I don't remember how the track logging was on it though.

Seems that when you "saved" the track, it averaged it out to 500 or 1000 waypoints in the track. If you kept the "Active Log" and didn't delete it, seems like it would save 10,000 points, and after that it would start removing the oldest point.

Maybe someone can correct me, I may getting that confused with a Magellan I had.

Speaking of, I had a Magellan Triton 1500, and there was a way to have it record tracks straight to the SD card, but it wasn't a very straight forward process. It was one of those "hidden gems" one sometimes find. The payoff was that it would record a track for as long as you needed it, until the card was full.

Some of the newer handheld GPSrs keep your track log in GPX format, which is what you want for the geotagging programs. So, look at the Delorme 60, Garmin 20 or 30, Magellan 110 or 310. If you want to spend more, look at other Garmin models. For road trips in your car or vehicle with 12V power, the Garmin Nuvis keep a good track log. They work off road also, but battery is only 3-4 hours.

Depending on your smartphone, they can keep a good tracklog. For my Droid X, I use "My Tracks" which does a decent job. If I were looking for all day use, I would get the extended battery. This app saves your track in several formats including GPX and lets you save and/or email it at the end when done (end of day). So, you can have back up immediately.

Edited by EScout