Deleting Duplicate Finds

TheGolden Retrievers

Newbie Question:

I logged a find from my phone in the field. When I got home, the find did not show up, so I logged it again via my home computer. One day later, both "finds" were showing up. I deleted one of the finds from the "Found It" page, which removed it from the cache's Last 10 Logs list, but my number of finds is still showing one too high. Is there anything else I can do to remove this erroneous duplication (to get my number of finds corrected)?

We are absolutely LOVING geocaching! Thanks to everyone who is helping to make this such a fun family activity!

Charlie In The Mountain

Edited by CharlieInTheMountain

When I look at your profile, the list of caches you've logged lists 10 caches, which matches your find total. On your stats page, it says "CharlieInTheMountain has found 10 caches (10 distinct) since 03/03/2012.", which indicates there are no duplicate logs. Everything looks fine now.

When I look at your profile, the list of caches you've logged lists 10 caches, which matches your find total. On your stats page, it says "CharlieInTheMountain has found 10 caches (10 distinct) since 03/03/2012.", which indicates there are no duplicate logs. Everything looks fine now.

Thank you for checking my stats -- yep, they are adding up correctly now! I'm pretty sure I just learned that patience is a virtue, even in geocaching...! :)

Thanks to you both for your replies!

Charlie ITM

Is there anyway to see which cache would have been double logged without reading all past cache logs?
If you go to your public profile, click on the "Geocaches" tab, and click the "All Geocache Finds" link, then you'll see a list of the geocaches you've found. You can click the links at the top of the columns to sort the list by various criteria. Sorting by D (difficulty) or T (terrain) or Placed may help by putting the duplicate logs near each other on the list, where you're more likely to be able to spot them.

If you're familiar with a scripting language like Perl or Python, then you could write a quick script to identify duplicates. That's what I'd do, but most people aren't familiar with tools like that.