Ape cache souvenir

AmayaTom

I noticed that there is a project ape souvenir: http://www.geocaching.com/souvenir/?guid=fbc68fc5-771f-41a4-b253-33ff5e519cc6

However I also notice that when you find the only ape cache that remains (gcc67), you don't get the souvenir. Is this just an oversite?

(The description of the souvenir is now out of date too)

Yep, in fact, you only get the souvenir from that archived APE. This really POed a lot of the old members who actually found an original ape cache that wasn't the only one which seemed to stand forever.

From what I recall Groundspeak's stance was pretty much this, "You get the APE cache icon for doing an ape cache, and the souvenir for doing the APE cache in washington."

Yeah, you can never get that souvenir, it's pretty much expired. And so is finding an APE cache to most people. South America is so far out of the way.

Yeah, you can never get that souvenir, it's pretty much expired. And so is finding an APE cache to most people. South America is so far out of the way.

It's only far out of the way if you don't live in South America. Since Geocaching is a game that is played globally I would rather see the benefits that Groundspeak provides more equitable. That means that those that happen to live within a stones throw of Groundspeak HQ shouldn't get preferential treatment over those that happen to live in Europe, Asia, South America, Australia, or even the U.S. East Coast. Of the 10 "Special" souvenirs on the list of released souvenirs, 9 of them would require a visit to the Pacific Northwest. I noticed that the most recent newsletter promotes some sort of team based adventure race. Guess where it's located? If Groundspeak is going to promote events, or awward souvenirs it would be nice if it was more evident the they recoginized that *most* of their customers do not live in the Pacific Northwest and can not easily attend the events they're promoting.

Yes, I was hoping there may be a little more "share the love". I appreciate the picture on the souvenir shows the Tunnel of light location as I have been there (too late for the ape though), but the description implies the Brazil cache qualifies you for it too.

Sounds like I am fighting a lost cause, so I'll sadly head back to Little Europe which has no Block Party, Lost and Found Event, HQ or Maze cache types and hope one day it gets a little recognition. (Not that I'm excluding South America, Asia, Africa or Antarctica from my general point) :-(

I guess different website feature have different priorities for some of us. I found that cache years ago when you could still bike through the tunnel. I revisited it a few years back and made the hike up from the Lake Annette trailhead with some friends when we were in town for GW8. I thoroughly enjoyed both outings. I never bothered looking to see that I had been awarded a souvenir for that outing until just now. I rarely view that tab-getting souvenirs is not part of why I go geocaching.

I guess different website feature have different priorities for some of us. I found that cache years ago when you could still bike through the tunnel. I revisited it a few years back and made the hike up from the Lake Annette trailhead with some friends when we were in town for GW8. I thoroughly enjoyed both outings. I never bothered looking to see that I had been awarded a souvenir for that outing until just now. I rarely view that tab-getting souvenirs is not part of why I go geocaching.

If it gets people put down the Xbox controller and pick up a GPS for trek thru the woods then I'm all for it. What I want to know when Groundspeak is going to get things worked out so that my Souvenirs count towards my Gamerscore.