60CSx and Basecamp

sviking

So, I'm trying to learn Basecamp and I figured out how to build mapsets, but where can you see the actual number of selected tiles? I know there's a "gas guage" type bar on the right showing how full the card is, but that's not the limit on the 60CSx. The number of tiles (2025 max) is the limiting feature. The old Mapsource program showed you how many tiles you currently had selected AND the file size. So, is there anywhere in Basecamp to see the number of tiles selected?

Also, when you import a map you've previously created, how/where can you see the tiles that were selected? I ask because I cannot fit all of TOPO US 2008 into one map file. I need to see where I left off from the previous map so I can start highlighting the area right next to it. I did all this before easily in Mapsource and I HOPE I can do the same things in Basecamp.

Thanks in advance...

Edited by sviking

You are talking about Mapinstall, not Basecamp. Basecamp simple starts up Mapinstall. The answer is you can't. Mapinstall basically sucks.... I would suggest starting a topic on the Garmin forums asking for more features...

Well, that sucks. I did, indeed, start a thread on the Garmin forums about it. And, you're right about Mapinstall. That's the utility Basecamp starts up when you right click on your memory card and select "install maps". You get to a page where you can highlight (and see) the individual tiles, but there is NO tally of the total number, which is a PITA. I liked Mapsource because, when you imported a .gbd map file, it showed you all the highlight tiles so you knew where to start when making the next map set over. I should have never uninstalled Mapsource. :rolleyes:

Ah, I guess I can get Mapsource back. I have TOPO US 2008 on DVD so I can reinstall it. Hope it doesn't jack up or otherwise conflict with Basecamp...

Edited by sviking

I use them side by side all the time without any difficulties.

Looks to be that way here, as well. Just finished up a map transfer (God, that's SLOW) from Mapsource to my 60CSx. No issues noted.

If you are not already doing so, and if your computer has a card reader, use a microsd>sd card adapter and transfer the maps that way. This is generally much faster than using the USB cable.

Edited by Mr Kaswa

If you are not already doing so, and if your computer has a card reader, use a microsd>sd card adapter and transfer the maps that way. This is generally much faster than using the USB cable.

I've tried that before with mixed results. I read about an issue (mine has it) where maps would often not load from the micro SD card unless they were actually created on the card with it in the unit. So, I just do it this way every time since I know it works.