Poorman's Palm

Sissy-n-CR

On my recent trip, the problems of using MobiPocket came to the forefront. Not to mention the navigational problems, searching the book is slow. We have m105 and the book only had about 150 caches in it, but it still took a little while to find the cache page. Even just a few seconds seems like a long time at 65 mph and your partner is doing a find on a GC number to see if we want to go after a particular cache.

That's not to mention people who don't even have a Palm.

This idea is inspired by Clayjar's Watcher program.

What about a page that on a single line lists the waypoint, single character codes for size and type, the name of the cache and placer, and status of the last 5 logs.

Something like:

GC1234 MT OurNewCachebyWendyO !****

The above could signify WayPoint, Micro, Traditional, Name and Onwer, and the logs ! for Not Found and * for Found. It's listed in alphanumerical order for ease of finding and the list is simply a web page to be sent to the printer. Possibly kept short like the above so there can be two columns.

This way we could look at the list to see if it's something we want to go after. The logs status would be a help as there were some caches that had no finds in the logs and we decided to not waste our time.

This wouldn't even have to be part of GC.com. It could be a page like Lil Devil's Spinner. (Hint Hint)

CR

72057_2000.gif

I'm calling it CacheNCarry

What I'm aiming at is something on Windows that will read a .loc file I've already downloaded, read the link from it, download the web page and parse out the important stuff, then shove it into an Outlook Memo for quick syncinc with the Memo pad on my palm.

There's obviously some downsides: no maps, and 4K size limit, but one day of programming and I'm 90% working. This is partly because the folks at Groundspeak were very nice about using SPAN tags with IDs for each section of information, and the .LOC files are a simple XML implementation.

The program will be nothing more than a VBS script -- yes those banes of viruses, are also occasionally useful. I'll post the source here -- not as an attachment, because that'll get eaten by most virus scanners just by its name. Probably Monday.

Your message was very useful in helping me think about the title information (actually the first line of the memo).

quote:
Originally posted by arrowroot:

I'm calling it CacheNCarry

See my other post on the subject of data mining from the GC.com site. I'd suggest a utility to parse GPX files. The $30 a year fee to subscribe is well worth it in my opinion. It's quick and easy, as well.

Otherwise, I like the idea of putting it in a format to view on the Palm.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

See my other post on the subject of data mining from the GC.com site. I'd suggest a utility to parse GPX files. The $30 a year fee to subscribe is well worth it in my opinion. It's quick and easy, as well.

Otherwise, I like the idea of putting it in a format to view on the Palm.

The poster indicated that he was using a pre-downloaded .loc file, so if your concern is that he's creating anouther massive-bandwidth data vaccum, this does not appear to be the case.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

The poster indicated that he was using a pre-downloaded .loc file, so if your concern is that he's creating anouther massive-bandwidth data vaccum, this does not appear to be the case.

Shall I bring your attention to:

quote:
...will read a .loc file I've already downloaded, read the link from it, download the web page and parse out the important stuff...
[emphasis added]

Of course, it depends on the size of .LOC file and he's not indicating he's downloading bulk. Still, it's a drain on resources.

But, if Jeremy gives it his blessing, who am I to argue?

But then again, the point appears to be moot.

CR

72057_2000.gif