Question about logging finds on Geocaching.com and paperless caching devices

digdug4

I'm in the market to buy a new gps unit, and my question relates to using a device like the Montana or Oregon. If after logging the find on the unit as found, can I upload the files at the end of the day to geocaching.com, or do I have to go to the site and manually enter each log? Thanks in advance for your help!

After an outing of finding caches these units create a text file called 'geocache_logs.txt' that contains each cache you mark as Found, Did Not Find, etc. This file has the cache code name, date/time, and result info. When connected to the PC you open your GC.com profile page and upload this .txt file. If you added a field note this will be included. Then you click on a cache at a time to fill out your complete log online. It's very handy to have this list of caches loaded to keep track of when and what order you found them. You still need to type in your full log but it sure makes life easy! I make short notes in the field to jog my memory of what I will later log.

On my Oregon 450 and 62S you simply plug your GPS in to your computer and go to Field Notes in your Profile at GC.Com. Your Field Notes are retrieved by uploading the file geocache visits ( this file is found in the Garmin Directory of your GPS device which is seen as a drive in Windows Explorer ).......just a couple of mouse clicks and the entire list of caches you found that day are displayed for fast logging.

Thanks for the answers everyone. I'll remember the info when it comes to logging. I just like to enter all my info after I find/Did not find the cache while it's fresh in my mind. I was previously using an old palm pilot device for my paperless caching, but was hoping there was a less time consuming way then having to enter it all back in again when I got home. Glad to hear that there is.

On our field notes, we made up a type of shorthand. When it is uploaded to geocaching.com, we simply go to the field notes page, edit our "shorthand" into the full length log and submit. Easy as pie.

Early on, we tried to just do notes themselves. It was OK for a while, but devising the "shorthand" method works far better for creating full logs -- we are short on memory, especially after a long day or two. We like to submit the fullest log that we can. If we do something like TFTC only, it is because the cache/hide was totally unremarkable and (must admit) not worthy of a full log.