Batting Average Statistic

Glenn

A new option for the Statistic Tag in your Profile. Give the ratio of Found to DNF caches, like a batting average.

On my profile page, I include a "Geocaching Average" statistic that was suggested by tozainamboku in a previous thread. It consists of my Find count divided by the sum of my Find count and my DNF count.

Currently, my Geocaching Average is 0.910, which, from previous discussions, seems to be fairly typical.

--Larry

A new option for the Statistic Tag in your Profile. Give the ratio of Found to DNF caches, like a batting average.

On my profile page, I include a "Geocaching Average" statistic that was suggested by tozainamboku in a previous thread. It consists of my Find count divided by the sum of my Find count and my DNF count.

Currently, my Geocaching Average is 0.910, which, from previous discussions, seems to be fairly typical.

--Larry

Yes! That's exactly what I was thinking about. It would be an excellent statistic to add to the statistics that the website calculates for us.

I feel this would encourage some people to not log DNFs since that's already an issue in some circles I can't see how pointing out one's failures (which is what a batting average will do to do some people) will encourage the use of DNFs. I'd probably stop logging DNFs because I wouldn't want there to be that average viewable by entirely too many people who hyperanalyze other's profiles.

I feel this would encourage some people to not log DNFs since that's already an issue in some circles I can't see how pointing out one's failures (which is what a batting average will do to do some people) will encourage the use of DNFs. I'd probably stop logging DNFs because I wouldn't want there to be that average viewable by entirely too many people who hyperanalyze other's profiles.

+1

It's bad enough as it is.

That isn't an issue at all. It doesn't have to be defaulted visible to all users. Some of our statistics are hidden by default like the cache ID for the cache nearest our home. It could be optional to share on your public profile. Personally, I think I'd keep the number private but I'd still find it useful to have the website calculate it for me for my own use.