publicizing development plans?

CacheMonkeez

I had an idea that could integrate with yours.

There are tonse of requests for features. There is no way to do them all. If a page had the current most popular feature requests (and a way for us to vote for out top 3 for example) it could also link to your idea.

Features in Green are being coded, Features in red are no way in hell until we get a bunch of other things done. Blue is under study. One of those handy dandy United Way thermomoters could tells us progress. When it 'Pops' the top it's done and implemented.

Most popular feature requests are not necessarily the most important. For example, since probably about 75% of cachers (and presumably even bigger percentage of forum readers i.e. feature voters) are from the US, I doubt that e.g. my and some other people's kilometers-instead-of-miles-on-nearest-cache-page-preference-request would get voted much. Yet (I suppose) it's a pretty simple request and quite important to some geocachers.

The color code thingy seems pretty funky idea though.

- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory. -

An even better idea.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

I had an idea that could integrate with yours.

There are tonse of requests for features. There is no way to do them all. If a page had the current most popular feature requests (and a way for us to vote for out top 3 for example) it could also link to your idea.

Features in Green are being coded, Features in red are no way in hell until we get a bunch of other things done. Blue is under study. One of those handy dandy United Way thermomoters could tells us progress. When it 'Pops' the top it's done and implemented.

quote:
Originally posted by Divine:

Most popular feature requests are not necessarily the most important. For example, since probably about 75% of cachers (and presumably even bigger percentage of forum readers i.e. feature voters) are from the US, I doubt that e.g. my and some other people's kilometers-instead-of-miles-on-nearest-cache-page-preference-request would get voted much. Yet (I suppose) it's a pretty simple request and quite important to some geocachers.

The color code thingy seems pretty funky idea though.

Acutally that Is already done, adn it's switchable, so you can have Kilo's or Miles!

He prayeth best, who loveth best All things both great and small; For the dear God who loveth us, He made and loveth all.

S. T. Coleridge

quote:
Originally posted by geo-Packrat:

Acutally that Is already done, adn it's switchable, so you can have Kilo's or Miles!

Yes, I know it's switchable, but my 'problem' (yup, I know it's a very small one) is that I have to do the switching every time i get to gc.com again. The default is miles, but I want my default to be kilometers.

My point wasn't to bring this problem to attention in this thread, as there's another already. Just wanted to point out that voting for features can put very much weight to local issues, when after all geocaching is a global activity.

Having any new changes listed on the main page, as well as a secondary page with a running list of updates - would be very useful. I also checked the box for WEEKLY UPDATES about the site and can't remember ever getting one. It'd be useful if the changes were announced in the weekly emails - if nothing else with the new nearest cache announcments (they announced cache-in/trash-out that way).

I think that using the ANNOUNCEMENTS board as the only way you're (gc.com) announcing changes or additions is preventing a lot of of people from knowing what's going on.

I'm more concerned about things that have already been put in and aren't announced than stuff that is in the planning stages. It's obvious that a minority of geocachers read the forums and a lot are taken by surprise on changes (or additions) to the website and rules changes (or additions).

Not that a running list of things they are planning (as well as a rough eta) would be bad icon_smile.gif

southdeltan

"Man can counterfeit everything except silence". - William Faulkner

Well there is a lot of opensource solutions for tracking bugs/feature requests (Bugzilla comes to mind first)... the question is how difficult would it be to implement them in gc.com environment (Windows servers) and if TPTB would allow the general public to peek into their plans.

Another nice example is distributed.net's .plan page, looks easy to implement.

Czech caching in US.