TB etiquette

davetherocketguy

So by looking at my username you can guess I sorta like rockets. I would think that finding a TB and giving it a ride in a rocket like this might be kinda cool:

(launch is at 2:36 by the way)

And here is another view of the same rocket but different flight:

It isn't mine but I have several that are about half that size and what ever could fit in a 4" diameter tube could probably fit in my rocket. After I give it a ride then I would find another GC or TB hotel to put it in and chronicle the journey. I am asking because I cannot guarantee the TB's safety. Every now and then we just flat out loose rockets and never find them again or sometimes they crash.

So is proper etiquette to confer with the TB owner first notifying them of the risks? Or just say, screw it and light that candle?

-Dave

So is proper etiquette to confer with the TB owner first notifying them of the risks? Or just say, screw it and light that candle?

-Dave

Absolutely check with the owner first otherwise don't do it. However if you asked me I'd say heck yeah!

Two things, your first video could use some muting. And how did the shot switch from ground view on take-off which I understand, to sky-view on decent, which I understand, to ground view on landing? That last step confuses me a bit.

Absolutely check with the owner first otherwise don't do it. However if you asked me I'd say heck yeah!

Okay...I am glad I checked. Sorta thought that would be the answer.

Two things, your first video could use some muting. And how did the shot switch from ground view on take-off which I understand, to sky-view on decent, which I understand, to ground view on landing? That last step confuses me a bit.

What is happening here is the camera is not changing orientation relative to the rocket. It was attached - solidly to the side. Essentially, what we do with rockets that fly rather high, say 2000 feet or more is employ a method of recovery called dual deploy. At apogee, the rocket breaks apart into 2 parts tethered together. Then, at a predetermined altitude, the main parachute is deployed. We do this to minimize drift. This is all controlled by an altimeter connected to small BP charges. This is a popular alt:

http://www.perfectflite.com/sl100.html

Which is what is making all the beeping you hear in the background on the video. So, during the first stage of dual deploy - after apogee and before the main parachute comes out - it is in a controlled free-fall so things can be a little chaotic which is why it is pointing at the sky quite a bit.

In that video, apogee occurs at 2:52 (first deployment event), then at about 3:29 the main is deployed.

Sorry for babbling on and on...I'm sorta passionate about that hobby.

-Dave

TB owners release their little vermin out into the wild for the joy of seeing where that critter ends up. No need to check with anyone, just be sure to get pics. You get one of mine that way, LAUNCH AWAY!!!

A friend of mine used to attach about hi-vis streamers to his, 3ft xm 1 inch that deployed with the chute.

I think it would be wise to check with the owner first, as suggested by BD. I'd be happy for my TB to take the risk but there are some who would get their underwear in a scrunch if you had to send them a log which said, "I sent your TB for a ride on my rocket. Unfortunately it landed in the middle of the river and was last seen drifting off towards the Atlantic..."

Just for your interest, this is one of the most unusual TBs we've ever moved:

??? Rocket man

MrsB :)

I had a Lewis and Clark coin that was carried up Mount St. Helen. Unfortunately it was stolen along with my back pack in Boston.

Can I send you another, postage paid both ways, in return for a launch video?

LOLOL OKAY!

And don't worry about postage back...just get it here.

I think if I can figure out a way to secure a 4 oz. chunk of Gouda cheese on a rocket for a competition flight (it was in Wisconsin - don't ask) I can probably handle a coin.

Feel free to send some TB's too if you want. I'll give 'em the ride of their itty bitty lives. If you can keep it to under a pound or so and small enough to fit in a 3.9" diameter tube about 4" long we ought to be good to go. If you have something bigger let me know the dimensions and I might be able to work something out with another flier.

Heck, I can even place all the little astronauts in a TB hotel after the flight to release them in the wild if you'd rather do that.

-Dave