Trackables queston

bbsmalls

when logging a trackable, I enter the TB code and click to view it. The page shows another code, however. So when I get to the "Post a New Log" screen for it, there is an entry for Trackable Code. How does this differ from the one I entered to pull the TB page up? What is the purpose of the other code that was on the TB page?

Thanks in advance =)

The tracking number (the one on the TB) is a 'private' number, known only to those who've actually seen the item. This number should not be used in logs, or forums, to reference the trackable.

The other number, the one that starts TBXXXXX, is the public reference number for it. Use this one if you want to refer to the item in a 'public' place.

The tracking number allows you to log moves or discover the item, but you won't be able to do that with only the public TB number, you're only able to view the page or post a Note to it.

MrsB

if you got to the trackable item page via typing in the private tracking code, then you will need to type it in again when you make a log *

sadly, the system does not remember that you just typed in the code a few seconds ago

but since it is possible to get to the trackable item page via typing in the public code (the one that begins with "TB"), they (Groundspeak) may have just taken the easy route, and require entering the private code, no matter what

* this only applies to "retrieve", "grab" and "discover"

posting a note does not require the private code

Edited by Bhob

The tracking number (the one on the TB) is a 'private' number, known only to those who've actually seen the item. This number should not be used in logs, or forums, to reference the trackable.

The other number, the one that starts TBXXXXX, is the public reference number for it. Use this one if you want to refer to the item in a 'public' place.

The tracking number allows you to log moves or discover the item, but you won't be able to do that with only the public TB number, you're only able to view the page or post a Note to it.

MrsB

Thank you, that was what I was looking for.

if you got to the trackable item page via typing in the private tracking code, then you will need to type it in again when you make a log *

sadly, the system does not remember that you just typed in the code a few seconds ago

This is no longer the case. They have figured out how to make it remember. :smile: