Messed up travelbug log

Lawneater

I retrieved a travelbug from a cache and logged it as retrieved. However I hadn't realized at the time that the TB was still listed as being in the previous cache to the one I found it in. I deleted the log thinking I could then re-log it for the correct cache, but unfortunately that wasn't possible. I wrote a note to describe what had happened. Obviously the TB hasn't yet been logged as being retrieved from the previous cache or being dropped in the one I found it in. Is there any way to fix this?

Edited by Lawneater

Hello Lawneater

Is the travel bug physically in your possession at the moment?

I ask this because you say you logged it as retrieved from the cache but when I look at your profile I don't see any trackable currently showing as being "in your hands".

If you have the tracking number from the TB this can all be sorted out:

If it still shows as being in the hands of the previous cacher who had it then it's good manners to wait a few days so that that cacher can do their log to drop it off correctly into the cache where you found it.

If it's showing as being in some other geocache then do a log to retrieve it from that cache - This will bring it into your hands and it will show in your trackables inventory. Then, go back to the cache page of where you actually found it - do a Note log for the cache saying something like "Allowing TB visit" but before submitting the Note look in the Trackable Inventory box under the log comment box and select 'Visited' for the TB. This will show that it was at that cache and will give it the mileage and then it will be back in your inventory all ready to drop off in the future.

Hope that helps. Ask again if something is not clear.

MrsB :)

Hello Lawneater

Is the travel bug physically in your possession at the moment?

I ask this because you say you logged it as retrieved from the cache but when I look at your profile I don't see any trackable currently showing as being "in your hands".

If you have the tracking number from the TB this can all be sorted out:

If it still shows as being in the hands of the previous cacher who had it then it's good manners to wait a few days so that that cacher can do their log to drop it off correctly into the cache where you found it.

If it's showing as being in some other geocache then do a log to retrieve it from that cache - This will bring it into your hands and it will show in your trackables inventory. Then, go back to the cache page of where you actually found it - do a Note log for the cache saying something like "Allowing TB visit" but before submitting the Note look in the Trackable Inventory box under the log comment box and select 'Visited' for the TB. This will show that it was at that cache and will give it the mileage and then it will be back in your inventory all ready to drop off in the future.

Hope that helps. Ask again if something is not clear.

MrsB :)

Hi MrsB

Sorry, accidentally sent back your post!

I have the TB at the moment. I originally logged it as retrieved & submitted that log, but after realising that it was for the wrong cache, I deleted the original log. Obviously in hind sight that wasn't the right thing to do! I then submitted a note on the TB page to say in which cache I had found it. Here's the link. It might make it clearer.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=E27HX0

Lawneater

Hi MrsB

Sorry, accidentally sent back your post!

I have the TB at the moment. I originally logged it as retrieved & submitted that log, but after realising that it was for the wrong cache, I deleted the original log. Obviously in hind sight that wasn't the right thing to do! I then submitted a note on the TB page to say in which cache I had found it. Here's the link. It might make it clearer.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=E27HX0

Lawneater

That's a really well-travelled bug :)

I see that it is showing as "in your hands" on the TB's home page. I suggest that you follow my instruction above by doing a note and giving it a Visit to the cache where you found it. Hopefully doing that will put it back on track, give it its mileage and it'll still show as being in your hands ready for its next drop-off.

mrsB :)

Looks fine to me. It's in your hands again, ready to go wherever you place it.

It still hasn't appeared in your profile trackables tab, under "Trackables Moved/Discovered" but that may be due to the logs not having caught up yet, or it might only show up when you finally drop the TB off into another cache.

Whenever you pick up any sort of trackable from a cache it can be useful to make a note of the tracking number in a notebook, or just take a quick photo* of it, as a record. If you experience any problems with the logging they can be sorted out, as long as you have the tracking number.

MrsB

*Never show the tracking number by putting that photo in your log, or in any 'public' place.

just for future reference -

some logs in the GC.com system do more than one thing

for example, a "retrieve" log for a trackable item posts the log entry

but it also moves the item from a geocache into your inventory

deleting the log entry will only delete the log entry

it will not "undo" the move

the same applies to other, similar actions, such as "drop" and "grab"

on the other hand, a "discover" log only does one thing, so deleting it takes care of everything

it can be a little confusing, but once you visualize what is happening behind the scenes, it all makes a lot more sense

just for future reference -

some logs in the GC.com system do more than one thing

for example, a "retrieve" log for a trackable item posts the log entry

but it also moves the item from a geocache into your inventory

deleting the log entry will only delete the log entry

it will not "undo" the move

the same applies to other, similar actions, such as "drop" and "grab"

on the other hand, a "discover" log only does one thing, so deleting it takes care of everything

it can be a little confusing, but once you visualize what is happening behind the scenes, it all makes a lot more sense

Well said, and worth pinning.

It seems that many first delete logs to make an attempt at correcting, then finally come to the forums to see what is wrong. By then, the "damage" is already done.

But... I guess if they don't read the pinned subject until coming to the forums, the boat is still sinking... :lol::blink:

What you should have done was 'discovered' the TB - that is to say you have found it in a cache other than the one it was listed in. This way the system assumes it has hopped form one cache to the next, and you have found it where it actually was. You retrieve it when you find it in the listed cache, and grab it when you get it from another cacher or source other than finding it in a cache.

At the same time, it is worth giving it a few days before logging if you find it in another cache - it is quite possible that the previous carrier moved it form the listed cache to where you found it, but hasn't had time to log it - give it a few days to see if they do log it (remembering not everyone logs from a smartphone, so it can take a few days before some get round to it) then log it as appropriate.