Cacheing in Africa

mh88

Hi. I am new cacher. I have so far only used my iPhone 4 with pretty good luck. I will be going to Ethiopia miles away from any town on dirt roads. There is a cache there on the rim of a volcano I want to find. I do not want my tools to fail me. Will any GPSr unit work way far away from cell signal?? Do I need to load africa maps for a non phone unit. I could use a basic tutorial on cacheing away from the civilized world. Thanks-M

Any GPSr will work but I would recommend a Garmin because you will probably want maps. The Garmin advantage is that there are hundreds of times more free maps available for download on the internet. I would recommend buying a GPS that accepts external memory that can be used to store maps for multiple countries. Lastly, you will have to make sure you can adapt your charging system to the country you’re travelling to. Most newer charges will run on 100 – 240 VAC so all you might need is an adapter plug. I carry a power adapter set with me then plug a 3 plug multiplier into that. Outlet strips don’t work very well because most will only handle 110 VAC. I took out the power of about half a hotel floor in Germany many years ago with an outlet strip.

As Cacheholic says any GPSr will work. As for Maps, have a look here - My link

The Tracks4Africa maps sometimes cover the out of town stuff not available on other mapping software.

Give me a link to the cache you want to find and I will see if I can come up with any other dacent maps of the area that you want to visit.

Hi. I am new cacher. I have so far only used my iPhone 4 with pretty good luck. I will be going to Ethiopia miles away from any town on dirt roads. There is a cache there on the rim of a volcano I want to find. I do not want my tools to fail me. Will any GPSr unit work way far away from cell signal?? Do I need to load africa maps for a non phone unit. I could use a basic tutorial on cacheing away from the civilized world. Thanks-M

To clarify something not addressed by the previous responses, dedicated GPS devices receive signals from navigation satellites, not cellular phone antennas.