Asking Michigan DNR...

Craig333

I want to have a geocaching event on a Skihiking trail. I went to the DNR office here in town to ask if they could open the gate for parking so I can plan the event. The lady in the front office wanted to know what geocaching was and said if it is a event I would need a permit and pay a fee. I'm afraid I did not Make myself clear on what geocaching was and what I was planing on doing.

It is a very nice tail and really would like to have a geocaching event up here in the U.P. I need to know if I can get some help in getting a letter wrote up to let the DNR know what geocaching is and what I'm trying to do.

I was told That someone would call me today. But they did not.

Thank

Craig

Sault Ste. Marie , M

That's odd that they didn't know what it is, since the FAQ on the Michigan DNR web site addresses geocaching. Here is the link to their answer, and here is the text:

quote:
Question

What is the DNR's policy about using state lands for playing the new game of geocaching (www.geocaching.com)?

Answer

The DNR has no problem with individuals playing geocaching on State land, as long as the activity does not become an event with large numbers of players. An event would require a DNR permit and include permit fees. We are especially pleased with the Cache In, Trash Out policy advocated by the official web page www.geocaching.com.

I'd say this answers your question pretty directly: you can have your event, but as with any group event on Michigan State land, you'll need to pay a fee and get a permit.

What park are you looking at?