[FEATURE] More Meaningful 'Find' Counts on Logs

TeamRabbitRun

This suggestion was originally posted in the old "UserVoice" facility, but close enough to its demise that I'm not sure it got a thorough discussion.

I would like to suggest that the 'Find Count' that appears on cache logs be presented in a two-component format:

<# finds when I posted the log> / <Number of finds today>

For example, a log I posted two years could say "20/500", meaning that I had 20 finds when I wrote it, and 500 now.

It would help put some perspective on the experience level and 'cache-savvyness' of loggers and give me a better way to evaluate what I'm reading.

Today, I might read a log that says "Spent an hour looking for it" by CacherName (879). I might view it differently if it was bylined "CacherName (12/879)".

OK, friends. Have at it.

This suggestion was originally posted in the old "UserVoice" facility, but close enough to its demise that I'm not sure it got a thorough discussion.

I would like to suggest that the 'Find Count' that appears on cache logs be presented in a two-component format:

For example, a log I posted two years could say "20/500", meaning that I had 20 finds when I wrote it, and 500 now.

It would help put some perspective on the experience level and 'cache-savvyness' of loggers and give me a better way to evaluate what I'm reading.

Today, I might read a log that says "Spent an hour looking for it" by CacherName (879). I might view it differently if it was bylined "CacherName (12/879)".

OK, friends. Have at it.

Odds are, though, that the log with "CacherName (12/879)" is VERY old. They've found 867 caches since they posted that log. Why not just look at the most recent logs? The recent logs by cachers with lots of current finds should be much more helpful than logs from years ago.

If you're looking at very old logs, you should be able to tell by the date how much faith you want to put in the information. There's also a good chance that any information you get from these old logs may be out-of-date and possibly misleading.

Much better just to use the recent logs.

this feature would work in either instance as a "clue" or a way to determine if a cache fits within a reader's pre-formatted "worthiness"... i tend to search the logs occasionally for experienced responses as well as those that are not so much. this comes in handy when looking for a cache to fill a certain amount of available time... or any number of other reasons for that matter.

on a related note ... in the forums, this feature might make some "old-timers" less likely to overly pick on someone who they think might not know better.

i could go either way with it, but i'll give it a half a vote.

OK, friends. Have at it.

Was your caching name inspired by John Updike? Being a local boy, he is still highly regarded around here. As to your topic, it was old when I was new here. Far out-dating "UserVoice". There were many competing ideas, and yours was certainly one of them. I believe find counts had disappeared completely once, and it took a popular uprising to get them back. Fearing they might someday vanish again, I went back and edited my first 50 or so finds to add the static find number. And have been including it ever since. You are still at a point where you could certainly do the same. I predict that short of another popular uprising you are not going to get what you are asking for, but I have been wrong before.

I like this idea...

I have always wanted to be able to see what the find count was for someone, or myself when I posted the log.

You go back to when I first started caching and read my logs, and then see my find count at almost 5k (I will hit 5k within the week) and you will wonder why I had so many DNF's... Till you realize that those were some of my first caches.

We need a way of knowing that... I think it would be nice!

TGC