log replacement

IMNSHO, it depends on the container.

If there is room for a replacement log in a protective baggie, I leave one,

If there is not room, I sign the existing log as best I can.

In no case would I presume it is OK to remove the pulped log...no matter how unlikely it may be that it could be useful to the cache owner.

At the very least you should offer to return the pulped log to the cache owner, and be prepared to follow through.

What I do: Replace the log with any scrap of paper available, if possible. Whether you can or not, post a Needs Maint. describing the log condition -- after your Found log (Found and NM are two separate things).

I guess I left out the part about describing the situation in your log for the cache.

I tend not to be so quick on the 'Needs Maintenance' trigger.

Give the owner a chance to respond to a regular log describing the situation.

If the cache has been in need of maintenance for a while (other logs stating the logbook is mush), then by all means post the 'Needs Maintenance'.

I guess I left out the part about describing the situation in your log for the cache.

I tend not to be so quick on the 'Needs Maintenance' trigger.

Give the owner a chance to respond to a regular log describing the situation.

If the cache has been in need of maintenance for a while (other logs stating the logbook is mush), then by all means post the 'Needs Maintenance'.

I usually don't have a problem posting a NM log if the cache needs maintenance. For me as a CO, it's easier to catch that log, and identifies the need to pay a special visit to a cache.

Just my two cents - I'm not so hesitant with NMs.

If I don't have a replacement log with me (ie: most of the time) then I'll post my Find and a Needs Maintenance log and leave it up to the owner.

If I do have a replacement log and the old log is trashed/soaked I've been known to remove it from the cache to keep the other cache contents/new log dry and then post in my Find that the owner can contact me if he/she wants the old log back after I dry it out in my garage.

Found a cache by a playground a couple of days ago. It had a soaked, muddy, frozen logbook.

There was about a 1/4 cup of water in the baggies the CO used to protect the card file container. If I put a small piece of signed paper in the cache it was likely going to end up ruined. So I took a photo with my cell phone and posted the photo in my online log - as evidence that I found the cache and to alert the CO and Reviewer to the cache condition.

There were already 3 NMs going back to October so I posted a Needs Reviewer Attention (NA) note. The cache was disabled by the Reviewer and awaits maintenance by the CO.

6da09df7-09a3-4c72-b142-4cb01b20535b.jpg

What is the etiquette on replacing a thrashed cache log?

We found a cache and the log was literally oatmeal!

The last time that happened to me, I found a container with a full logbook plus various scraps of paper in it. Since I had some clean logs in my bag, I put one in. I took all the scraps, etc., home with me, wrote to the CO, and offered to mail them.

No response, so after about two months I threw them away.

I noticed that the CO lives two hours-plus drive from the cache site, and I suspect that he is not maintaining it on a regular basis.

No matter what you do, some cache owner would find offense. Some take a NM like a slap. Some would ask why didn't you log a NM if it needs maintenance. Some would be angry you didn't replace the log. Some would be offended that you're interfering with their cache. Just do what you feel is best.

I share the same views regarding log replacement as AZcachemeister.