Best Free Android App for Geocaching?

davemccall73

I just joined awhile ago and am looking forward to doing some family geocaching. I loaded c:geo on to my android phone. Is this the best free app? I am an absolute rookie at this...am I able to just upload geocaches using the c:geo program and then follow the directions using the gps on my device? Not entirely sure how to use the program exactly. Thanks for any help and patience with a geocaching rookie.

I suppose it depends on how you define "best". I've never used c:geo because it violates the Geocaching.com terms of use by scraping the site to obtain cache data.

GeoBeagle and GeoHunter are free, but they work best when used with pocket queries, which is a premium member feature.

My favorite app right now is Neongeo, but it isn't free. Still, it's less than $5. However, the API that it uses restricts basic members to downloading full cache data for only 3 traditional caches per 24 hours. You can download basic information (coordinates, difficulty & terrain ratings, size) for more than that, but the full cache data is more limited. Again, that's a limitation of Groundspeak's API, not a limitation created by the Neongeo developer.

c:geo is great I've been using it ever since I started and it never failed me.

But then again, I am a urban only cacher, so when you're in the woods, forget using your cellphone.

Also, you'll wanna check if you got the version named "c:geo opensource", because the regular c:geo is not beeing updated anymore.

So when using c:geo, you won't need to download anything. Just enable your devices GPS and internet connection, open the programm, click on the map and wait a couple minutes until c:geo has figured out where you are.

It will then show you all caches in your surrounding.

I hope I could help you for a start.

If there's any more questions just ask, I'd be glad to help.

Oh and: Good luck ^_^

A cellphone can never replace a real gps, but if you're caching in a urban area, it's more than adequate.

You can always use the buildings around you to get a better orientation if the phones coords are off...

But as I said, if you're in the woods with a cellphone, you might as well go caching bindfolded :ph34r:

But as I said, if you're in the woods with a cellphone, you might as well go caching bindfolded :ph34r:

I wouldn't go that far. You can still store caches and use GPX Import to pull caches into the database so that you can view them without a data connection. Before I bought my Montana, we easily found 7 of the 8 caches in the 2011 GGA challenge with a Motorola Atrix. We didn't attempt the 8th because we weren't sure we'd be able to make it to check-in by the designated time.

I use the c:geo opensource app. I wasn't aware that it infringed on anything :unsure: I haven't used it much, so I'm still learning it, but it seems to be a great app so far, especially for being free.

I had it on my old phone, and then never used it. Then I got a new phone and I was geocaching with a friend and was letting him use my GPS. I wanted to make sure we were on the right track, so I downloaded it again and started figuring it out. What I like best so far is having a google map with the caches marked out, so I'm not like "Oh, this one sounds like it's by the golf course" and then it's not. I know there are other ways to go about that, but this is just pretty handy, especially when you're somewhere and go "Hey, wonder if there are any caches near by?"

It's definitely not going to replace my GPS by any means, but it seems to be a really good app.

Jumping in for C:geo as well. I used it when I first got my Mesmerize and when it changed to Opensource. Works great on my phone and my wife's too. We also log our finds from it and visit the GC website when we get home to verify that all went well. My handheld gps died a few months ago and I use my phone and c:geo entirely now. Go with c:geo. :)

c:geo is great I've been using it ever since I started and it never failed me.

But then again, I am a urban only cacher, so when you're in the woods, forget using your cellphone.

Also, you'll wanna check if you got the version named "c:geo opensource", because the regular c:geo is not beeing updated anymore.

So when using c:geo, you won't need to download anything. Just enable your devices GPS and internet connection, open the programm, click on the map and wait a couple minutes until c:geo has figured out where you are.

It will then show you all caches in your surrounding.

I hope I could help you for a start.

If there's any more questions just ask, I'd be glad to help.

Oh and: Good luck ^_^

Edited by cashncarrie