[FEATURE] Add QR Code to Info Sheet for Trackables

nativtxn

Cool idea.

When trackables get a code, these codes can be used once the traveler is entered into the system. The website would be .../track/details.aspx?tracker=######

When the trackable is activated in the system, it gets the sequential number and code (and guid):

...track/details.aspx?id=130510

...track/details.aspx?tracker=TBJ5JY

...track/details.aspx?guid=a04b0016-55cf-4ab7-8c7b-b402ed54d29c

So, the QR Code really should be to the "secret code", which is imprinted on the actual traveler, using the "Tracker=######" extension.

It's not too hard to come up with a QR Code. I used qrcode.kaywa.com and came up with this (using the id, not the secret code). So I suppose it's easy enough to implement on the site. Since the auto industry has been using them since 1994, they'll be around for a while.

Sure, why not?

5d061adc-aad7-40ed-ac36-819d2c45ffb8.jpg

Jeesh! Can't believe some of the requests. Why not just hire someone else to go and find the cache with your phone so you don't have to do anything to participate in this game? There! Its off my chest now. Been building for quite some time after reading some of these feature requests. I feel going on line and logging visits etc. with a decent log instead of the TFTC logs is part of the game too. Cache owners deserve a little more than TFTC for putting out the caches we find. But by logging with the phones people don't seem to be able to say more than that. Now can't even log a trackable without a phone app? Too much bother to go online to log? Then why pick them up? Just a thought.

Go ahead and beat me up now. I feel better about letting off the steam.

Jeesh! Can't believe some of the requests. Why not just hire someone else to go and find the cache with your phone so you don't have to do anything to participate in this game? There! Its off my chest now. Been building for quite some time after reading some of these feature requests. I feel going on line and logging visits etc. with a decent log instead of the TFTC logs is part of the game too. Cache owners deserve a little more than TFTC for putting out the caches we find. But by logging with the phones people don't seem to be able to say more than that. Now can't even log a trackable without a phone app? Too much bother to go online to log? Then why pick them up? Just a thought.

Um, yeah... feature request: a phone app that lets me knock this guy down a few pegs. </IRONY>

Actually, while I am very much in alignment with baack40's point of view regardless rampant apathetic TFTC logging**, I also feel that it is important to merely say that what your opinion of geocaching is is just that: your opinion. I happen to agree with it, but at the same time, I acknowledge that the sport of geocaching is always evolving*** and that others will play it in ways that I don't (or won't). I hope that others reciprocate this level of respect of differences.

As such, having a TB-QR code isn't the end of the world; it's use here would actually be an authentic application of "augmented reality"*. If enough people would like it, then it would be worth while to implement. Otherwise, they can shelve the idea and leave it to the motivated TB owners to implement it third-party.

tenebrus

*defined here as near-seamless connection of real world to cyber-world.

**Note: my stats: over 4000 finds, average log length is 30+ words.

***My first caching GPSr (my 2nd GPSr) would only give N XX XX.XX W XX XX.XX. We had to triangulate everything.

I suggest you to go back and read the request twice. You can still log trackables from your computer without a smartphone app, of course. Or did I miss something?

P.S. I see it useful to see the current/updated goal/mission/status of a trackable before picking it up and taking it home (not to log it while in the field. I personally log everything from computer). I have picked up a trackable with a certain specific destination attached, thinking I should be able to help as I just needed to travel back home with it to help. It turned out that the trackable was actually on its way back home after completing its mission.

This would be a handy feature to have on the info sheet that you print out. You could scan it and it would take you directly to that trackable's page for logging.

Nothing wrong with QR codes or other bar code types for ID purposes on the TB Page or Information Sheet (I assume mission sheet).

You can do that right now as per Markwell's post. I suspect that you meant to suggest that the GS TB page do it automatically for everyone... maybe that is good idea or maybe overkill... that would depend on the demand for it.

Perhaps simply a link to a QR creation site (as per Markwell) suitable to GS/GC owners would do rather than building it in.

I'm not sure all TB owners would bother to do it though... or care.

Another idea would be to put a QR code/barcode onto the TB tag itself along with the tracking number... that should only add to the costs of buying one a small amount :rolleyes: . I'm not convinced it would be a good site mod though beyond the link from the Activation page idea.

Doug 7rxc