Geocaching in North Yorkshire, England

Hello, family of newbies here, former muggles now have found 3 caches and we love Geocaching ! Hubby has iphone, I have blackberry. I want to download best geocaching app but unsure which might be best free geocaching apps for blackberry, any advice on the best of the paid for geocaching blackberry apps in the UK ? Thought I would ask users in UK as opposed to reviews which could be international !one step at a time, eh..

Hello, and welcome to geocaching, from your usually friendly forum moderator.

The Geocaching Topics forum section is for discussions that don't fit into one of our specialty forums. I am moving your thread to the United Kingdom and Ireland forum since you want to hear local opinions. I also suggest searching through the GPS and Technology forum, which includes discussions of mobile apps.

Hi, I initally thought this thread was about North Yorkshire but then discovered it is about Blackberry apps, suggest you change the topic.

I am not an expert but I do not think there are any decent free blackberry apps. I use my blackberry as a backup and use "Blackstar". Blackstar is pretty basic and allows you to import gpx files into a waypoint list then select one to navigate to. It does not do any mapping. It does have search for nearest geocache on geocaching.com but this function does not work on my work connection.

I can heartily recommend CacheSense (which used to be called Cacheberry). You can trial it for free for 30 days, after which you must license it for $9.99. I've been using it for a couple of years now.

Cacheberry has mapping integration; it was the first app on any platform to use the new Geocaching Live API, so you can log or look up caches in the field, or if you prefer you can create field notes in the field and upload them to Geocaching.com later; here's also a friendly forum where the developer hangs out and is very quick to offer help & respond to issues.

Edited by MartyBartfast

Hello, and welcome to geocaching, from your usually friendly forum moderator.

The Geocaching Topics forum section is for discussions that don't fit into one of our specialty forums. I am moving your thread to the United Kingdom and Ireland forum since you want to hear local opinions. I also suggest searching through the GPS and Technology forum, which includes discussions of mobile apps.

thanks for keeping me straight. I appreciate that.

Hi, I initally thought this thread was about North Yorkshire but then discovered it is about Blackberry apps, suggest you change the topic.

I am not an expert but I do not think there are any decent free blackberry apps. I use my blackberry as a backup and use "Blackstar". Blackstar is pretty basic and allows you to import gpx files into a waypoint list then select one to navigate to. It does not do any mapping. It does have search for nearest geocache on geocaching.com but this function does not work on my work connection.

thanks have taken on board your advice. thread was about both North Yorkshire AND apps,, but moderator has moved thread to appropriate place for me, so we can all be happy :-) Have seen blackstar but am now thinking of going for cachesense instead. better tool for the beginner I think.

I can heartily recommend CacheSense (which used to be called Cacheberry). You can trial it for free for 30 days, after which you must license it for $9.99. I've been using it for a couple of years now.

Cacheberry has mapping integration; it was the first app on any platform to use the new Geocaching Live API, so you can log or look up caches in the field, or if you prefer you can create field notes in the field and upload them to Geocaching.com later; here's also a friendly forum where the developer hangs out and is very quick to offer help & respond to issues.

Thanks for your advice MartyBartfast, it concurs with what I was thinking, so that helps. TFTA !