[FEATURE] Allow 3 character partial cache name searches

mimandpap

I now understand that partial cache name searches must be at least 4 characters. Would you consider allowing 3 character name searches? My example in another topic was WSQ which is used at the beginning of most Wisconsin cemetary caches. I would like to get a list of them as I hope to visit all of them. Thought I would ask.

Did the previous reply by Moun10Bike, in your previous thread, not answer the question?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=286777&view=findpost&p=4915355

Posted Today, 07:30 PM

"Big 10" is 6 characters (the space counts when between characters) while "WSQ" is 3. Any search less than 4 characters long looks for an exact match, so when you are searching on "WSQ" you are searching for caches named "WSQ" with nothing else in the title. This is done to reduce server load, as otherwise a search for something like "e" could return massive results.

Using GSAK with caches loaded would allow a search, in the caches you have loaded, as you request

Edited by Bear and Ragged

The system does have trouble searching partial names. One thing that will help is if you select a state then type in the WSQ. Then put a space after it and any letter. So you can search for "WSQ A" and get all the caches that start with that.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?key=wsq+a&submit4=Go

Go through the alphabet and you will have all your looking for. Like all search engines they have there limitations. Its not a character limit that is hindering you its the lack of information the system has to go with to find a match.