Same Search, Vastly Different Results GPX vs. LOC

creagerstonefamily

Hi everyone,

So, I thought I'd try out the new version of EasyGPS and the GPX format.

I have two searches that should find everything within 100 miles of zip 89145. The GPX file is 2.2MB and has six or seven caches. The LOC version of the same search has hundreds of caches.

I've changed the GPX search to now ZIP the file. Could that be the problem? A new zipped, GPX files has yet to arrive in my email.

Anyway, is there any specific advantage to using GPX if I'm just using it with a Meridian Platinum?

Thanks,

J

You need to do the folowing:

DELETE your copy of EasyGPS. (Many people have problems if they don't delete [or at least rename] the old one first.)

Download the latest version of EasyGPS

(If you're using Windows.) Download and install the latest version of Watcher.

(That last one will show you the vastly superior capabilities of GPX, if I *do* say so myself. icon_biggrin.gif)

-ClayJar (Watcher programmer)

[This message was edited by ClayJar on January 25, 2003 at 01:13 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

You need to do the folowing:

+ DELETE your copy of EasyGPS. (Many people have problems if they don't delete [or at least rename] the old one first.)

+ Download the http://www.easygps.com/latest.asp

I got a fresh copy of EasyGPS and followed your instructions. My .gpx file has 53 entries (I counted them). EasyGPS says it has 17.

Frank

How many does Watcher say it has?

If Watcher gets it right, then it's a bug in EasyGPS. If you'd like, you can send it to me and I'll figure out what's wrong with EasyGPS now and send them a bug report. Plus, I can send it back to you working.

I've got to send them another bug report on their broken supposed-to-be-an-XML-parser, anyway, so another bug won't hurt. (I don't call it an XML parser, because, by definition, it's not. It's pretty close to one, though, and once they fix the bugs, they'll be able to call it one.)

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

How many does Watcher say it has?

If Watcher gets it right, then it's a bug in EasyGPS. If you'd like, you can send it to me and I'll figure out what's wrong with EasyGPS now and send them a bug report. Plus, I can send it back to you working.

Watcher lists 80; EasyGPS lists 17. I'll send you a copy of the file. Where should I send it?

Frank

quote:
Originally posted by Frank and Peggy:

Watcher lists 80; EasyGPS lists 17. I'll send you a copy of the file. Where should I send it?

You can send it to GPS@C___J__.com (fill in the blanks with the rest of my name). I'll take a look and get right back to you.

Actually, I didn't have EasyGPS on the computer since I deleted stuff before I upgraded the hard drive.

Watcher refuses to actually SHOW any caches, but it reads 365, so there must be a bug in EasyGPS. I'll download it again.

Found the problem: The Groundspeak link downloads v1.1.9, heck, even the "New User" link on EasyGPS.com downloads that version even though it says 1.2.2. It doesn't work.

I had to select the "Get the Latest Version of EasyGPS" to get the right version and it appears to work just fine.

[This message was edited by CreagerStone Family on January 26, 2003 at 02:21 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by CreagerStone Family:

Watcher refuses to actually SHOW any caches, but it reads 365, so there must be a bug in EasyGPS. I'll download it again.

Is that Watcher 0.1.27? (There seems to have been a bug, and I thought I fixed it in 0.1.27a, but if you have 27a, then I must have missed something more.)

If you're having problems and haven't e-mailed me the problem GPX files, feel free to do so. I'll take them and figure out where my bugs are. In fact, I suppose it's time I set up and error-reporting page (where you can send an error report with a description, version, and GPX).

Sorry about the bugs, but with your help, I'll have them cleaned up quickly.

Oh, and the IE too old message flies by for everyone. If your IE *is* too old, it stays there and lets you know. (I could not trace which particular files have which effects, so I had to take advantage of the fact that if your IE is too old, it won't update the page and the original message will just stay there.)

Im just learning EasyGPS and Watcher tonight...

I have tried both EasyGPS 1.1.9 and 1.2.2 with Watcher 1.27b and 1.26.

I seem to get a similar problem as above. I simply downloaded 3 caches to easyGPS, saved the file with the 3 as blah.gpx. I open Watcher, it prompts for the file, I choose it, and the title bar says "showing 0 of 3 caches", while the main window shows "No caches to display".

Ive created the file with both easygps 1.1.9 and 1.2.2, and tried each file with both watcher 1.27b and 1.26.

If I can give you any more information, I would be glad to do so. Maybe Im doing something stupid since I just started using the program.

Thanks. icon_confused.gif

My time, your time is limited, but time itself is unlimited.

quote:
Originally posted by Choachy:

I simply downloaded 3 caches to easyGPS, saved the file with the 3 as blah.gpx. I open Watcher, it prompts for the file, I choose it, and the title bar says "showing 0 of 3 caches", while the main window shows "No caches to display".

There are two distinct classes of GPX files: Those that include Groundspeak's geocaching extensions, and those that do not. The GPX files with Groundspeak's geocaching extensions come only from Pocket Queries.

Additionally, even if you start with a GPX file with Groundspeak's geocaching extensions, if you edit it in and save it from an application which does not support Groundspeak's geocaching extensions, the application will very likely ignore the additional data and not include it in the saved GPX file. EasyGPS can take waypoint information (from .loc/.gpx/whatever) and save it as a GPX file, but it will not have the additional information that Groundspeak's geocaching extensions provide.

I will update Watcher to detect the absence of the additional data provided by Groundspeak's geocaching extensions so that Watcher can reject the file instead of attempting to display a file that cannot possibly be displayed.

I found the bug in Watcher 0.1.27. It seems that in all the optimizations that I did since 0.1.26, I forgot to initialize the new much faster cache lists. icon_eek.gif

Sorry about all the trouble, but Nocturnal tells me that Watcher 0.1.27d actually *does* work now, and it's a lot faster than 0.1.26. (Hey, I can't break *everything* at once.)