Lost "Found Caches"

GB's

I recently upgraded the firmware on my Garmin Montana and now all the "found geocaches" have disappeared, meaning I don't see them overlaid on the map as before. Those that I have found since the upgrade show as found.

Where is this information stored on my Garmin? Is this just an plain text file that I could recreate and load?

I recently upgraded the firmware on my Garmin Montana and now all the "found geocaches" have disappeared, meaning I don't see them overlaid on the map as before. Those that I have found since the upgrade show as found.

Where is this information stored on my Garmin? Is this just an plain text file that I could recreate and load?

Dang! The same thing just happened on my GPSMAP62ST. I upgraded the unit and now nothing will show on the map page that I've created such as waypoints or uploaded to the unit ie geocaches. The caches are on the unit, I can navigate to the geocache files while the unit is connected to my computer, I just can't get them to show up on the geocache page or on the map page...kind of a shock while deciding to go treasure hunting today.

On a lark I attempted to upload a GC that is already on the unit and I got the overwrite warning saying the GC already existed, so I know the GC's haven't been deleted, I just can't get the unit to recognize them.

Thanks for any help with this, I'm crushed my unit's out of commission for the time being.

Have a look for a file called something like x:\garmin\geocache_visits.txt (where x is the drive letter for your device). It's a text file you can read with Notepad and see the GC codes for the caches you've visited.

Which upgrade did you apply to cause the problem?

You might try a clean GPX reboot. Remove all GPX files from the GPX folder of the GPS. Restart the GPS to clean out the GPX entries. Now replace the same GPX files back in the GPX folder of the GPS and restart. This will cause the GPS to see the GPX files as new and load them.

If you load your GPX files on the external memory you can do this out in the field by removing the memory to remove the GPX files. Otherwise it is a very sad moment when your GPS chokes on a corrupt GPX file and you lose some or all of your caches out in the field without a computer.

I was hoping someone could tell me what is the file name that stores the "found" caches. And if it was possible to build this file externally and then copy that file onto my Montana. I have lost some of the found caches with my recent firmware update but I would also like to add the caches that I found with my previous used (60csx)GPSr.

You might try a clean GPX reboot. Remove all GPX files from the GPX folder of the GPS. Restart the GPS to clean out the GPX entries. Now replace the same GPX files back in the GPX folder of the GPS and restart. This will cause the GPS to see the GPX files as new and load them.

If you load your GPX files on the external memory you can do this out in the field by removing the memory to remove the GPX files. Otherwise it is a very sad moment when your GPS chokes on a corrupt GPX file and you lose some or all of your caches out in the field without a computer.

I don't think the GPS uses the files to determine what is found. I think it creates the file so you can upload field notes. I keep all my active found caches on my GPS as Custom POIs. I use a GSAK macro. A custom POI can have the description, hint, and logs. Custom POIs do not count against the number of caches you can load on the GPS.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

This actually worked for all my geocaches, much gratitude from Woetohice and family...sometimes Mondays are just great!

Is there a way to assign a either the standard found icon or a custom icon to these POIs? I use GSAK, what is the name of the macro you use?

I don't think the GPS uses the files to determine what is found. I think it creates the file so you can upload field notes. I keep all my active found caches on my GPS as Custom POIs. I use a GSAK macro. A custom POI can have the description, hint, and logs. Custom POIs do not count against the number of caches you can load on the GPS.