Need advice on etrex series

De Schoot

Hey everybody,

I'm a relatively new geocacher, and i've been using my smartphone to do so until now. I do want to be able to perform some longer days of caching, which is hard with my phone. So I was looking for some lower-cost gps units and my eye spotted the Garmin Etrex-series, ranging from the cheaper etrex H to the slightly more expensive Vista/Legend-series. From what I see now, the only benefit the Vista/Legend-series provide is that they can hold more waypoints, have a USB-cable and are being able to show maps when provided/bought.

As eventually, I'd like to be able to completely ditch my cellphone to go geacaching, I will porbably need a device which also has the possibility of showing maps etc, since only a compass will lead me to take wrong roads and detours i do not wish to make. I guess that makes the H-version not useful to me. This leaves me with the following choice : Vista or Legend. Both have the same price but the vista-model comes with a Europe map. My questions to you guys are :

- Can both vista and Legend models show you the directions from cache to cache on a map ? Which models of GPSr's support a great (visual) routeplanner between caches or has the possibility of uploading this through for example mapsource ?

- Is the europe-map that is provided with the vista-model a basic model which will only be able to show the big roads ? I'm from Belgium and only plan to geocache in Belgium at this point, so I will need a map from here.

- Is it possible to use free maps on the garmin devices, for example those from openstreetmaps ?

- What do you think about the price difference and what would you choose in my place ?

(Etrex H : 80 dollar ; Etrex Vista & Etrex Legend : 170 dollar )

Thanks in advance guys !

(Etrex H : 80 dollar ; Etrex Vista & Etrex Legend : 170 dollar ) discontinued

Look for new models like Etrex 20 - 30

You can use OSM in Belgium, it will route you, also you have available OFM (fiets) it will act like a topo.

See

http://forum.gps.nl

Thanks for the quick reply. After a quick look Ive noticed that the Etrex 10 20 and 30 are indeed the newer garmin models. When I need visual maps on it, I would need to buy a 20 or 30 model. If I only want the compass I go for the 10.

The thing is however, The Etrex H will only cost me 80 bucks, while a Etrex 10 is about 200 dollars. Is it worth the enormous price diff to pick the new 10-model over the older H-model. I don't see alot of difference in terms of specifications ....

If maps are indeed that important to you then having a color screen goes a long way. Then you will actually be able to tell if one of those lines is a stream that is between you and the cache.

Using your phone you have enjoyed the ability to have the cache descriptions right there in front of you. If your goal is to stop using the phone then you'll want a GPSr that can do paperless. That way you can upload a PQ and have the cache description, hints and recent logs available to you without using your phone.

I own an eTrex Legend H. The 2 biggest problems i had with the unit was the black and white screen and the lack of paperless caching. There where too many times i found myself on the wrong side of a river from the cache. Because of the lack of color i couldn't tell the river from one of the topo lines on the map. It was also becoming a pain juggling between the GPSr and my iPod Touch to get more info about the cache. Now i have a Garmin Dakota 10.It was well worth the extra money and so will the eTrex 20.