Garmin eTrex Vista HCx only dispalys the nearest 50 Custom POIs?

imamachine

I recently bought a used Garmin Vista HCx. It's been a learning experience so far, ha ha. I used GSAK to great a csv file and then used the POI loader to get caches onto the GPS. These show up as custom POIs. In the waypoints "folder" you can search for waypoints by nearest, which will show the nearest 50, or by name which will show them all. In the menu portion of the "custom POIs" folder it only offers the display types, Nearest, Select Database (which lets you select by cache type and some other things), and Change Reference. How would I be able to view all of the custom POIs at once?

On another note, when I do select a POI my device thinks that I want to start at point 2.4 miles west of my home. So even if I'm close to a cache it is telling me to get on the interstate, argh, I don't want to do that. If I am close to the cache I can use the compass page to get to ground zero but it's kind of annoying. The attached photo shows what's happening. It wants to start me near "604" but it knows where I'm at as shown by the pointer. Any thoughts?

IMG_4822-1.jpg

When searching POIs, they only show the nearest 50 to keep the list manageable. Note however, if you move the pointer to someplace else before hitting Find, it'll show the nearest 50 to the pointer instead. That's good enough for me.

As to the auto-routing, that depends entirely on the quality of the map(s) you have loaded. Poor maps == poor auto-routing. Here's another example:

e12c63ae-2185-4358-8c76-e7c2fcf5cd02.jpg

No, there is no diagonal road under that diagonal line. And yes, that map does claim to do auto-routing.

Adding to that, if all you have is the Garmin basemap that is notoriously innaccurate for navigating in automobile mode. Fraid you either have to live with it or get a better map.

Thanks to both of you for the replies, much appreciated!! Good to know the move-the-pointer trick, guess that will have to be good enough.

I'm not sure about the eTrex models, but I have the same complaint about the 62 series. IMO this is a case of Garmin "dumbing down" the current models. The older models allowed display of waypoints and POIs by a full alphabetic listing. If you knew that a waypoint starts with "T", for example, you could look at the waypoints that started with T. That capability has been removed on the 62 series.

imamachine, in looking at the photo you posted I get the sense that you have better maps than the routing is using. You might want to reload the maps with Mapsource and note that when you do you get the choice to include auto routing information in the map as you send it to the GPSr. If you don’t do that, then you leave the GPSr with no choice but to use the base map and that map won’t have the smaller streets.

Also, since you are using GSAK, consider installing this macro:

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=3172

because it generates CustomPOI files that are going to be a much greater joy for you. (You will see a macro in that library by me - don’t use that; ProsperoDK’s version is much better).