Need help with Magellan Explorist GC

On The Trail

OK start by reading THIS . Once you have made your PQ and selected it to run you SHOULD find a notification in your e-mail that it is ready to be downloaded. Click on the link in your email to download it. Save it to a location that you can find easily.

Extract it, you will end up with 2 files.

1 being a .GPX file

2 being a Wpts.GPX file

Connect your GPSr to your computer and put the GPX file into the Geocaches folder and the Waypoints in the Waypoints folder.

I also found THIS while looking for the proper place. I own a Garmin. So I am using information I found in these forums and searching the web.

Edited by Davequal

Sorry. I have created a couple of pocket queries and tried to download. When I connect to the laptop each time it asks if I want to upload the latest Magellan information. I say yes then it tells me it has already been downloaded. When I continue on to download nothing happens. It shows that the Magellan device is connected to the laptop as I can see the files. It also shows the queries on the Magellan, however I can not access them.

Thanks

Sorry. I have created a couple of pocket queries and tried to download. When I connect to the laptop each time it asks if I want to upload the latest Magellan information. I say yes then it tells me it has already been downloaded. When I continue on to download nothing happens. It shows that the Magellan device is connected to the laptop as I can see the files. It also shows the queries on the Magellan, however I can not access them.

Thanks

2. Start by downloading the PQ to your computer. It will be a zipped file. Open it up. You will have 2 files inside.
  3. Hook your GPS to the computer. Choose "connect to PC" Once it has been recognized open it like you would a thumb drive and view the folders on the GPS
  4. Look for a folder named geocaches - there should be a .gpx file in there (the original one that comes with the gps) just drag and drop the unzipped .gpx file from your pq to that folder.
  5. Look for a folder named Waypoints - drag and drop the second file ending in -wpts.gpx into that file.

Remember to breath and not panic.

You can drop your GPX files into the folder of the GC, but you will not get the cache images that way.

If you use Vantage Point you will get the images. It will also access this site and let you choose which PQs you want. You will see the list of your recent PQs and check the ones you want to load. If you have a map installed in Vantage point, you can see the caches on the map, so you will see if you chose the correct PQs.

Using GSAK also gives you the cache images, and has the great filtering tools. I usually use GSAK for the GC and my other GPSrs.

reading this thread I'm wondering --- do I HAVE to use PQs? I bought an explorist GC and thought I only needed to click "send to GPS" to load cache pages. I've tried downloading the software that comes up as well as the plug ins without success. My programmer son couldn't get it to work either. What am I missing? Please reply as if I'm a 5-year-old because I am seriously technology challenged! Have a new toy and can't play with it yet. Thanks

reading this thread I'm wondering --- do I HAVE to use PQs? I bought an explorist GC and thought I only needed to click "send to GPS" to load cache pages. I've tried downloading the software that comes up as well as the plug ins without success. My programmer son couldn't get it to work either. What am I missing? Please reply as if I'm a 5-year-old because I am seriously technology challenged! Have a new toy and can't play with it yet. Thanks

To get all the information on the cache page (full discription, size, d/t, and logs) yes you must use a PQ. If all you want is the location and name (maybe d/t I don't remember) you can send from cache page to gps one cache at a time. But if I am not mistaken that function has not been working for awhile. Good news is you need no software to load the PQ just unzip and drag and drop to the correct folders (listed above). You can use any of several software products to load all the info plus the pictures from the cache page. So it is just what and how much information you want.

To get all the information on the cache page (full discription, size, d/t, and logs) yes you must use a PQ. If all you want is the location and name (maybe d/t I don't remember) you can send from cache page to gps one cache at a time. But if I am not mistaken that function has not been working for awhile. Good news is you need no software to load the PQ just unzip and drag and drop to the correct folders (listed above). You can use any of several software products to load all the info plus the pictures from the cache page. So it is just what and how much information you want.

Actually, you need no additional software to go completely paperless with the GC. Run your PQ, unzip it, and drop the files in the folders noted. You're done! I usually delete the old ones, and the found logs before I copy in a clean pq, since my found caches are filtered out of my pq's.

Later!

Actually, you need no additional software to go completely paperless with the GC. Run your PQ, unzip it, and drop the files in the folders noted. You're done! I usually delete the old ones, and the found logs before I copy in a clean pq, since my found caches are filtered out of my pq's.

Later!

mmm, that's what I said - no software to load PQ and you get all info on cache page. BUT if you want the pictures also you need the PQ and to load with GSAK or Magellan software. OR if all you want is the lat / lon and name load from cache page will work - or rather you could if the feature was working.