Do I really need a GPSr ?

De Schoot

Hey everybody,

I'm kind of new to the entire geocaching experience and I must say this could become a real passion ! I've done 13 caches right now, which I've all found using my android-based Garmin Asus Nuvifone A10. I like to do things perfect from the start, so I'm working on my equipment right now. Since I have never geocached using a regular GPS device, I was wondering if anyone had actually compared the usage of a smartphone with integrated GPS-module vs GPS.

My thought, based on research I've done until now, says that each GPS always has some error margin, depending on day time, atmosphere, weather etc. The more expensive and better the gps-module, the better the GPS could be in maintaining strong signal and keep it's functioning up in more difficult circumstances like caching in dense forests etc.

My questions are the following :

- Does anyone have experience with Garmin-Asus phones ? I'd say that because it's a garmin phone, their gps-modules that have been integrated into their smartphones, could be better than the average Iphone, HTC, Samsung etc. GPS module. Anyone has some information if this could be a right assumption ? (My GPS-module is a Qualcomm GPSOne G7 type, but i don't find any information about it relevant to my question)

- Secondly, suppose a regular GPS device would offer better reception and improved accuracy, thus being worth the buy : Would downgrading from the ease of geocaching with the official geocaching app (thus paperless, no manual waypoints etc) nonetheless feel like an enormous downgrade when buying a more cheap GPs device like the Garmin eTrex H ? I'm thinking an improved battery-life, better accuracy and/or reception is all fun, but when you need to enter waypoints manually and ose alot of functionality, this makes the choice a bit harder to me ...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this. I apologise if this should be in the GPS-section, but I thought it would be more relevant in the Getting Started section since it actually IS about me getting started :P

You've got the right forum.

Many people use BOTH a smartphone and a GPSr. Each has attributes that support the other. I have my preferences as to one over the other, but in truth, that is just my preference.

Drawbacks to the phone: Battery life; water resistance; durability (drop it and you oftentimes come up with a dead unit).

Drawbacks to the GPSr: No live online connection; downloads/uploads (although most don't feel that is a drawback).

Some use their phone for caching, their GPSr for hiding caches.

EDIT: Adding waypoints to a GPSr is simple. Unless one really knows how to use their phone app, doing it on a smartphone is tricky (according to what I read in the forums).

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I use both a regular Garmin GPSr and an iPhone. Personally, I'd be afraid of dropping my phone on a rock or having it get wet, which is why I primarily only use it for looking up cache information. Also, the accuracy of the phone is great out on the open, but poor under tree cover.

For that reason alone, if you ever plan on hiding a cache, I'd recommend getting (or at least borrowing) a "real" GPS unit, otherwise you run the risk of angry cachers complaining about how your coordinates are always 50' off.