How can I add a certificate to a virtual cache?

Puzzzler

I've noticed that several virtual caches have certificates for the finders. icon_biggrin.gif These are password protected such that you need information from the cache site to open them. I couldn't find any place on Geocaching.com that discusses how to add these certificates to a cache page. Does anyone know how? Thanks.

I did one on Peek-a-boo! (watch out for sound wav).

I started by creating the certificate in Powerpoint (adding graphics and the nice-nice pictures. Then I did a screenshot and saved it as a JPG file using MS Paint (Start, Programs, Accessories, Paint). I then put the JPG into a password protected Winzip file.

You could do it with Word or Powerpoint and password protect the file, but people without those Micro$oft programs would be SOL. The method I described above is cross-platform and works quite well.

If you want further clarification, feel free to e-mail me.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

From the guidelines page:

5. There should be one or more questions about an item at a location, something seen at that location, etc., that only the visitor to that physical location will be able to answer. The questions should be difficult enough that it cannot be answered through library or web research. The use of a "certificate of achievement" or similar item is not a substitute for the find verification requirement.

quote:
Originally posted by mtn-man:

From the guidelines page:

5. There should be one or more questions about an item at a location, something seen at that location, etc., that only the visitor to that physical location will be able to answer. The questions should be difficult enough that it cannot be answered through library or web research. The use of a "certificate of achievement" or similar item is not a substitute for the find verification requirement.

I'd have to disagree on this one. If I've got a certificate of achievement that can only be opened with a password based on material that can only be found at the cache site, I would consider cachers trustworthy enough to log their own visit appropriately.

After all, if we're just going on the verification through an e-mail that the person gathered the information by visiting the location, and not through some other source, that's a poor benchmark. Who's to say that his cousin the cacher didn't just give him the information. Oh, that virtual cache? All you need to know is that the statue is 196 feet tall. Go ahead and log it. Someone would do that?

My point is, if they're going to cheat on a virtual, just having an e-mail submission instead of successfully reaching a password does not, in and of itself, make the cache finders more trustworthy.

Conversely, why couldn't I just start logging caches in Antartica or Turkey or Japan. There's no "e-mail notification requirement" on a physical cache to proove that you were indeed there. And it's not likely that someone is going to check the log book in Antartica to proove that I wasn't there.

Ah well. Since it's already in the guidelines - I'm just glad mine is grandfathered in.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

My ZIP password cracker busted that zip in a blink.

Passworded ZIP files aren't very secure because of the tools readily available.

PGP 8.0 Freeware will allow you to wrap a file into a self-decrypting file, or SDA. I know of no readily available PGP password crackers. You can still use the exact same password and be much more secure. The problem is SDA's are platform specific. You'd need a Mac to generate one for those guys. Or you could simply encrypt the file and make the Mac users install PGP to decrypt the file, while having an SDA for Windows users.

...or simply set up a password protected directory on your own site.

...or have really obscure directory they can go to, i.e. http://www.my-site.com/jeurtidsjeu73mxhd8/verify.jpg where "jeurtidsjeu73mxhd8" is the "password."

So, if the file inside that zip is the means of verification, even though I haven't been to Chicago in decades, I guess I could log it, because I have the verification file. (Don't worry, I'm not.)

quote:
Originally posted by SE7EN:

So, if the file inside that zip is the means of verification, even though I haven't been to Chicago in decades, I guess I could log it, because I have the verification file. (Don't worry, I'm not.)

You're last phrase in parenthesis is my key point. If someone were unscrupulous, they could simply pass the password to their buddy in Belgium, who could then log the find (fortunately, there's a photo component to logging this cache).

But couldn't you do that with ANY information for verification of a virtual cache?

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

But couldn't you do that with ANY information for verification of a virtual cache?

Tis, true. I figure it's just a matter of time before some joker starts a site dedicated to listing detailed cheats to caches.

Mark my word, it's just a matter of time...