Annoying tags

TresOkies

If you remember the early days of the Web, Netscape unilaterally introduced the tag to the annoyance of everyone. People would place blink tags in their pages just to annoy Netscape users. Today, I saw a log using the tag and it's easily the most annoying thing I've seen on cache pages since background music.

I know in the global scope of things, it's not a big deal, but marqueed text distracts me from reading the rest of the text. I think if someone placed a marquee log in one of my caches, I'll probably remove it and ask the finder to re-submit their log.

If you feel the need to draw attention to a statement, use the tag or tags.

Just my opinion...

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by TresOkies:

...I think if someone placed a marquee log in one of my caches, I'll probably remove it and ask the finder to re-submit their log.

Just my opinion...

Hopefully no one dislikes strong or size=5 text enough to delete those logs... icon_wink.gif

BTW, isn't this off-topic a bit for this forum, or are you requesting Jeremy disable marquees on cache pages?

Member:

banner-small.gif

quote:

...I think if someone placed a marquee log in one of my caches, I'll probably remove it and ask the finder to re-submit their log.

Just my opinion...

Hopefully no one dislikes strong or size=5 text enough to delete those logs... icon_wink.gif

BTW, isn't this off-topic a bit for this forum, or are you requesting Jeremy disable marquees on cache pages?

Member:

banner-small.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Team CacheCows of Wisconsin:

Point taken. I was looking at someone's cache page and this horrid looking bright red text started scrolling across the screen. It was impossible not to look at it, just like an arm hanging out of a car wreck.

quote:

I didn't think so. It pertains to the geocaching site, not the game, the software, or getting started. I would love to see marquees disabled, just like the <script> tag is disabled. But, I would be happy if people just refrained from using it.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Team CacheCows of Wisconsin:

Point taken. I was looking at someone's cache page and this horrid looking bright red text started scrolling across the screen. It was impossible not to look at it, just like an arm hanging out of a car wreck.

quote:

I didn't think so. It pertains to the geocaching site, not the game, the software, or getting started. I would love to see marquees disabled, just like the <script> tag is disabled. But, I would be happy if people just refrained from using it.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

I don't know ... maybe I just don't see it or I'm just getting older and a lot of little things don't get my goat anymore ... but I wouldn't call it annoying ... of course I've never seen one in a post but I don't think I'd care one way or the other. I have one on one of my cache pages ... so don't look at Hawk 12 ... sorry. I used it because of the theme of the cache ... thought it sort of fit. Oh well ... HEY ... EVERYONE HAVE A GOOD HOLIDAY THIS WEEKEND! icon_biggrin.gif

348_2602.gif

I don't know ... maybe I just don't see it or I'm just getting older and a lot of little things don't get my goat anymore ... but I wouldn't call it annoying ... of course I've never seen one in a post but I don't think I'd care one way or the other. I have one on one of my cache pages ... so don't look at Hawk 12 ... sorry. I used it because of the theme of the cache ... thought it sort of fit. Oh well ... HEY ... EVERYONE HAVE A GOOD HOLIDAY THIS WEEKEND! icon_biggrin.gif

348_2602.gif

I saw one this week where a guy had put a scrolling marquee on a log because it was his 100th find. I thought it was pretty neat and I'm going to do the same when I hit 100 (tomorrow actually)

Fortunately it isn't one of TresOkies caches.

Surely there are more important things to worry about than which HTML codes people use in logs.

Alex. (100 up tomorrow)

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

I don't know ... maybe I just don't see it or I'm just getting older and a lot of little things don't get my goat anymore ... but I wouldn't call it annoying ... of course I've never seen one in a post but I don't think I'd care one way or the other.

I'd have to agree. I don't care one way or the other. There are far worse things... such as the cacher who logged the answers to my virtual cache. Talk about annoying!

icon_mad.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Hawk-eye:

I don't know ... maybe I just don't see it or I'm just getting older and a lot of little things don't get my goat anymore ... but I wouldn't call it annoying ... of course I've never seen one in a post but I don't think I'd care one way or the other.

I'd have to agree. I don't care one way or the other. There are far worse things... such as the cacher who logged the answers to my virtual cache. Talk about annoying!

icon_mad.gif

quote:

Don't let little things get to you ...

I'm not suggesting that this is the worst thing since cancer or the 2000 election fiasco, just annoying. I saw another instance of this in a local cache page and the person used a bunch of options on the tag to make it bounce around. We all have things that bug us, and this is one for me. It's not like I'm going to stop geocaching or even reading the logs because of it.

quote:
go out and enjoy this holiday weekend we have coming up ...

Hallelujah! We _finally_ have some 70 degree days this week. I've burned the cobwebs out of my MGB and I've downloaded the local caches to my GPSR. We have our MinuteWar waypoints planned as well. I only have a little more fence to build and I can relax.

Hope to see some of you "out there" this summer.

Hey Texas-Jacksons, I go _right past_ your house at least once a month. I usually stop at the Fina to gas up and grab something to eat at Braums.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Jake.Hazelip:

It's worse than annoying, it's non-standard code.

Is that better or worse than a website that checks the User-Agent and kicks you back to the seek page if you're using Lynx? Not that I'm naming names or anything.

So here is the cache log that TresOkies found so offensive.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=4973

Not a problem offending anyone since we posted the annoying code. We, of course don't agree. I am not a web/html elitist and feel folks should have some fun with the logs. We just wanted to draw a little more attention to the cache log because it was significant to us, our 100th find, and because of the great support from the federal park ranger helping maintain the cache. It is a very effective way to get attention. It got your attention didn't it? I suppose we could make some cute picture as our signature as others have, but we haven't. We could build a web page dedicated to ourselves and our geocaching experiences but who really cares? Or we could post questions on the forum to get attention through lots of responses. But in the end, it is a very small attention grabber that you would never have seen if it hadn't been posted on another thread because of the real reason we used it in the first place - to show that some rangers in the federal government are going out of there way to support geocaching. And that is worth some attention!

We have also seen it used effectively for clone caches where the clone cache is not currently available and that is where I first saw it used. Another cacher in Washington also used it for their 100th find a few months ago and I actually borrowed the idea from her. When it comes to being annoying, their are a lot of other things, as others have mentioned, that are more annoying then a single marquee tag.

So if you find one and don't like it, then scroll on down the page and it disappears pretty quick! If that doesn't work, just skip the cache altogether.

A final suggestion - switch to Netscape since I believe the marquee tag only works in IE, right!? icon_biggrin.gif Now it's time to go figure out how to add some background music! icon_wink.gif

So here is the cache log that TresOkies found so offensive.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=4973

Not a problem offending anyone since we posted the annoying code. We, of course don't agree. I am not a web/html elitist and feel folks should have some fun with the logs. We just wanted to draw a little more attention to the cache log because it was significant to us, our 100th find, and because of the great support from the federal park ranger helping maintain the cache. It is a very effective way to get attention. It got your attention didn't it? I suppose we could make some cute picture as our signature as others have, but we haven't. We could build a web page dedicated to ourselves and our geocaching experiences but who really cares? Or we could post questions on the forum to get attention through lots of responses. But in the end, it is a very small attention grabber that you would never have seen if it hadn't been posted on another thread because of the real reason we used it in the first place - to show that some rangers in the federal government are going out of there way to support geocaching. And that is worth some attention!

We have also seen it used effectively for clone caches where the clone cache is not currently available and that is where I first saw it used. Another cacher in Washington also used it for their 100th find a few months ago and I actually borrowed the idea from her. When it comes to being annoying, their are a lot of other things, as others have mentioned, that are more annoying then a single marquee tag.

So if you find one and don't like it, then scroll on down the page and it disappears pretty quick! If that doesn't work, just skip the cache altogether.

A final suggestion - switch to Netscape since I believe the marquee tag only works in IE, right!? icon_biggrin.gif Now it's time to go figure out how to add some background music! icon_wink.gif

quote:

Browser redirection based on client version is wrong. Standards-compliance is the only way to code.

Depending on how strongly you feel about that, you may have to change your title. icon_smile.gif

quote:

~ron$ GET -H "User-Agent: Lynx/2.8.3rel.1 libwww-FM/2.14 SSL-MM/1.4 OpenSSL/0.9.5" http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=11409

GEOCACHING - HIDE AND SEEK A CACHE

Of course, it's the "libwww" bit that kills it, and I (sort of) understand why, but it's still a little annoying when I'm trying to check up on a cache while logged in by telnet.

quote:

Browser redirection based on client version is wrong. Standards-compliance is the only way to code.

Depending on how strongly you feel about that, you may have to change your title. icon_smile.gif

quote:

~ron$ GET -H "User-Agent: Lynx/2.8.3rel.1 libwww-FM/2.14 SSL-MM/1.4 OpenSSL/0.9.5" http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=11409

GEOCACHING - HIDE AND SEEK A CACHE

Of course, it's the "libwww" bit that kills it, and I (sort of) understand why, but it's still a little annoying when I'm trying to check up on a cache while logged in by telnet.

quote:

If you remember the early days of the Web, Netscape unilaterally introduced the tag to the annoyance of everyone. People would place blink tags in their pages just to annoy Netscape users. Today, I saw a log using the tag and it's easily the most annoying thing I've seen on cache pages since background music.

I know the feeling, several years ago I found a nearly free software package called "Proxomitron" which sets as a proxy between my browser and the internet and filters the incoming and outgoing data. One of its main purposes is to filter out banner ads. But it can change almost anything. I have mine set to change and to so I never notice them.

You can find it at http://www.flaaten.dk/prox/ I am running an older version "Naoko-3(b)" but it works for me. I have no relationship with the author other than I like the software.

Maps-R-Us, I didn't intend to single you out, which is why I made a sample on my site. I've seen this on other log entries, not just yours. Seriously, I'm not trying to be rude, just engaging in a little "whadyathink".

What I want is "just the facts". Give me the text in nicely-aligned columns with generally accepted use of fonts and color. If you want the definition of "generally accepted", go to some of the web page review sites on Yahoo.

I'm not a Luddite and I have no intention of going back to Lynx. I want to be able to read what's going on without a lot of flashing images, moving text, or sound. Is that so unreasonable?

For what it's worth, it's the same thing I expect from TV. I can't watch shows or ads that are constantly switching the images, adjusting the volume and moving the viewers references. Maybe that's why I mostly watch baseball these days and ignore the networks. Even baseball isn't immune--Fox's presentation of the 2001 World Series was painful to watch. The swirling graphics, the little sound clips and the constant reminders that there's a new episode of Ally McBeal next Monday. Ugh.

OK, time to stop b$&%#ing and get outside.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. I'm going camping and we are going to place a new cache this weekend.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

quote:

I'm not a Luddite and I have no intention of going back to Lynx.

Hey, them's fightin' words!

FWIW, the way to fix the problem I was complaining about earlier in this thread is to hit the 'o' key and change what Lynx sends for the User-Agent string.

quote:

For what it's worth, it's the same thing I expect from TV. I can't watch shows or ads that are constantly switching the images, adjusting the volume and moving the viewers references. Maybe that's why I mostly watch baseball these days and ignore the networks. Even baseball isn't immune--Fox's presentation of the 2001 World Series was painful to watch. The swirling graphics, the little sound clips and the constant reminders that there's a new episode of Ally McBeal next Monday. Ugh.

TresOkies,

This sounds alot like Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD or ADHD). My husband is the same way. If he sees something flashing or moving around, his eyes lock on and he hyper focuses. He calls it A.D.D.... I call it Husband Ignoring Wife! icon_smile.gif

quote:

TresOkies,

This sounds alot like Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD or ADHD). My husband is the same way. If he sees something flashing or moving around, his eyes lock on and he hyper focuses. He calls it A.D.D.... I call it Husband Ignoring Wife! icon_smile.gif