Need help with Nuvi 1300

Found this thread right here on the forums. I think it might help you.

I must be missing something here. Why the need to display the coordinates?

I use the 1300 for driving directions from cache to another. The Nuvi 350 shows the coordinates when selecting to go to a cache. Makes it a lot easier to find with handheld gps once the 350 gets me close.

I guess I'm still not understanding. Don't you already have the coordinates on the handheld? Why introduce yet another GPS into the activity? Two seems more than adequate.

Found this thread right here on the forums. I think it might help you.

I must be missing something here. Why the need to display the coordinates?

I use the 1300 for driving directions from cache to another. The Nuvi 350 shows the coordinates when selecting to go to a cache. Makes it a lot easier to find with handheld gps once the 350 gets me close.

I guess I'm still not understanding. Don't you already have the coordinates on the handheld? Why introduce yet another GPS into the activity? Two seems more than adequate.

The Nuvi 350 I used to have would show the coordinates along with the cache name on the favorites. The 1300 only shows the cache name. I was just curious if I could get it to show coordinates also.

With GSAK and this macro:

http://sites.google.com/site/jjreds012/download

You can go Paperless with the Nuvi. That would include the coordinates, description, hint, logs, and other details. However doing things this way would mean the Geocaches would not show up on all map zoom levels (they'd show up around the same time that other POIs show up, like McDonalds) but you could access the list of caches under Extras on the Where To screen. The coordinates wouldn't show up on the map screen, but on the POI info screen. (Where most businesses would have a phone number or something like that.) One other advantage of this method is that you would only be limited by the amount of space on the internal memory. (Putting the POI file on the memory card will work, but will cause the Nuvi to ask you if you want to copy it to internal memory every time it boots up.)

Beyond that, you could probably use GSAK to customize the cache names by importing gpx files and then customizing the options on the gpx export screen to edit the waypoint name or cache description. (I forget which field is used for the name on a Nuvi, but with a simple checkbox you can apply the description field to the waypoint name as well.)

I'm still not quite sure why you need the coordinates though, don't you have a way to upload waypoints/Geocaches into your handheld GPS?

The Nuvi 350 I used to have would show the coordinates along with the cache name on the favorites. The 1300 only shows the cache name. I was just curious if I could get it to show coordinates also.

The ways of Garmin is not for mere mortals like us to understand. I never could figure out why different models of Nuvi can have very different behavior on certain features. If the two favorites files are identical, the only thing I can think of to get around it is to somehow add the coordinates to the name.

I do recommend the GSAK macro (if you're running Windows) though. It's much more powerful.

The 1300 doesn't have the available space in the name of a waypoint to list the cords next to it. Its a purely sat nav device that doesn't support features beyond street navigation. Sure it has pedestrian and biking modes but those don't do any more to help in caching. You already have a good hand held so just use the 1300 to get you to the nearest parking and go from there. I don't see how the coords being next to the name would be of any use anyway.

The 1300 doesn't have the available space in the name of a waypoint to list the cords next to it. Its a purely sat nav device that doesn't support features beyond street navigation. Sure it has pedestrian and biking modes but those don't do any more to help in caching. You already have a good hand held so just use the 1300 to get you to the nearest parking and go from there. I don't see how the coords being next to the name would be of any use anyway.

I can see that you have never read any of our post about what a Nuvi can do. We currently use the Nuvi 1350T, and we have been caching for 3 years with almost 3000 finds in which 300 of them are FTFs. So trust me when I say you are very wrong in what you think a good Nuvi can and can not do. Here is a link to an older tread that shows a few screen shots of our Nuvi. I turned on the "Simulator Mode" so I can take a few new pictures to show you what we have on our screen right now.

This is from the Custom POI screen. Since we don't use GSAK we created a format that works for us.

What we have is the: GC Number - Difficulty / Terrain - Cache Type / Cache Size - A special code we have for some caches.

1.jpg

This next screen is an overview of the area. The red lines is the trail system on COUGAR MOUNTAIN REGIONAL WILDLAND PARK

2.jpg

The following is of a cache by a friend of ours, and I'm sure that he won't mind us sharing.

On this screen is a repeat of the information from the first screen followed by Cache Name, Cache Owner, GC Number, Lon & Lat in the format we like (Decimal Degrees).

If we were to scroll down it would show the full text from the cache page.

3.jpg

Here is a small piece of that text along with some of the Attributes.

4.jpg

And if you check our Stats and Finds you will see that we done a lot with it in all kinds of weather in all kinds of environments. I'm not saying that this unit is perfect, its just a lot better that what most people know.

Tobias

Maybe I just got spoiled using my Nuvi 350 but my new Nuvi 1300 will show cache names but not the coordinates for the cache. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

My SP 2820 shows them also, but I'm guessing your 1300 is like my 855. The only way I can get the 855 to show the coordinates is to go through a bunch of menus and end up in the simulation mode. I found this out the hard way one day, I forgot to load a cache in my handheld and thought no problem, I'll get it off the 855.. wrong. You can try it on yours but I won't guarantee it will work the same as my 855.

Turn on simulator mode- [tools > settings > system > GPS simulator set to on > OK] Back out to main menu and pick the favorite you want from the where to/favorite menus. Select map > select set loc don't select go. Back out to main menu > touch tools then where am I. The where am I screen will appear displaying the coordinates of the favorite location.

I keep this printed out in my wallet in case I ever need to get coordinates off the 855 again. Another case of the Garmin people taking a step backwards.