Garmin eTrex 20

kipper01

Anyone else have the etrex 20? I am stuck at the "loading waypoints, tracks, and routes screen." I pull the batteries just to get that past that screen after waiting an hour and once I power it back on I still get no caches in the device.

HOW are you trying to load the 20? It is drag and drop, not like previous Garmin eTrex's.

Anyone else have the etrex 20? I am stuck at the "loading waypoints, tracks, and routes screen." I pull the batteries just to get that past that screen after waiting an hour and once I power it back on I still get no caches in the device.

HOW are you trying to load the 20? It is drag and drop, not like previous Garmin eTrex's.

You can still load caches one at a time also.

There seems to be a file size issue when loading PQ's.

Right this happens when you try and load a PQ larger than 2 MB. Trust me I know.

Yep, I know, Dave, I've seen your other thread. I just wanted to clarify that Kipper's problem has nothing to do with how he's loading caches, as the problem is appearing at bootup, not during any cache-loading task (such as viewing the GPS on a computer desktop). It could well be a problem with which .gpx files he loaded before restarting the unit.

WinterTime, and I as well understand what your saying.

Maybe I was not clear. My unit would hang at that same screen right after I loaded a PQ that was about 4mb in size. I yanked the batteries and the unit loaded just fine. Except there were no caches listed.

I removed the .gpx file and loaded a smaller one and it loaded just fine.

Maybe I was not clear. My unit would hang at that same screen right after I loaded a PQ that was about 4mb in size. I yanked the batteries and the unit loaded just fine. Except there were no caches listed.

Thats my issue! Do you know if in GSAK you can change the file size? It's really annoying to use 2MB as a max file size. Saw a post that Garmin is aware of issue but I am also wondering if it will take days or weeks or months to fix.

Also does anyone know how to downgrade software on the etrex yet?

Thats my issue!

Do you know if in GSAK you can change the file size? It's really annoying to use 2MB as a max file size. Saw a post that Garmin is aware of issue but I am also wondering if it will take days or weeks or months to fix.

Someone mentioned on this board about adjust file size w/ GASK. I do not use it so I do not know.

With these being new units, I am guessing days. We will all post when it becomes available.

If there is I do NOT know how. Though I have done little searching.

Older units (Oregon, Colorado, Dakota) do (did?) this, but I thought they fixed the problem awhile back... The workaround was to wait long enough for it to process the GPX file as it still was working in the background. Then shutdown and restart. The caches would then show up correctly.

I commonly use 25 MB GPX files on my Colorado. You need to go through this when the file is first read, but after that all is well.

Edited by Red90

Thats my issue! Do you know if in GSAK you can change the file size? It's really annoying to use 2MB as a max file size. Saw a post that Garmin is aware of issue but I am also wondering if it will take days or weeks or months to fix.

Don't know that it's possible to downgrade any modern Garmin GPS unit. (I wouldn't mind doing that with a certain Nuvi.)

As far as the thing about GSAK, my suggestion on how to limit gpx file size is here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=283977&view=findpost&p=4875445

Note that the mile numbers mentioned were just guesswork, the info in my edit may be a better way to judge if a filter is too big rather then saving and checking the file size. (Though obviously that will depend on how much info is actually in the individual cache descriptions.)

Edit: Guess I was probably a little late. :P

Edited by EdrickV