Inconsistency between coordinates and map

senex_venerabilis

I have hidden a geocache for the first time. My geocache (GC365FP) has been reviewed and posted. However, in the maps it appears in the wrong place, some 100 km apart from its real place. But the coordinates are right! I have double checked this, and checked in google earth also. I am totally confused.

Any advice?

Cheers for the geocaching community

I have hidden a geocache for the first time. My geocache (GC365FP) has been reviewed and posted. However, in the maps it appears in the wrong place, some 100 km apart from its real place. But the coordinates are right! I have double checked this, and checked in google earth also. I am totally confused.

Any advice?

Cheers for the geocaching community

Im guessing this is now fixed as the cache listing has a reviewer location change

Coordinates changed from:

N 42° 15.832 E 002° 41.367

Coordinates changed to:

N 41° 15.832 E 001° 41.367

Although this was a VERY long distance mistake, it was simply a mistake.

Most of the time, it is a good idea to have somebody else proof-read your findings and/or submission.

Familiarity with a GPSr, its' use coupled with the (normal) readings in your area probably would've raised a bright red flag.

I think this is why the guidelines suggest finding a few geocaches before hiding any.

Prior to actually submitting the cache for review, Google Maps provide you with stick-pin at your listed coordinates. That should have caused pause to review your numbers.

Oftentimes (some locales are worse than others) the maps and your GPSr will not agree. But those differences are usually minor, certainly not 100K.

Mistakes still happen. If you never make a mistake, you probably aren't human.

Thanks to all of you for your contributions.

However, thing remain unclear for me.

BrixingtonPaddler: no, it isn't fixed. I made a mistake (I am human, I wrote 2 instead of 1); this has been fixed, but my geocache appears in a wrong place.

EdrickV: in effect, it is a huge mistake!

Gitchee-Gummee: I am not sure of having properly undesrtood your post. Or maybe my explanation was unclear. The things are: 1) the coordinates are OK, in my GPS map the site appear where it really is; if I enter those coordinates in google earth, the site appear where it should do. But in the map ilustrating my cache, or in the general map of this site, my cache appears in a site definitely wrong. Maybe this is a bug of the beta version of mapping?

Gitchee-Gummee: I am not sure of having properly undesrtood your post. Or maybe my explanation was unclear. The things are: 1) the coordinates are OK, in my GPS map the site appear where it really is; if I enter those coordinates in google earth, the site appear where it should do. But in the map ilustrating my cache, or in the general map of this site, my cache appears in a site definitely wrong. Maybe this is a bug of the beta version of mapping?

I don't see that. Location is the same everywhere I look at it:

screenshot102111092800.png

screenshot102111092843.png

screenshot102111092912.png