Challenges and Reverse Caches

amigosu

Hi,

First of all, sorry if I made any mistake in this post, english isn't my native language.

I have a idea for a challenge and I not sure if it's a challenge or a reverse cache.

I'm challenging people to go take pictures in São Paulo of urban arts, graffits and etc, and post their coordinantes in the site.

Is it this a challenge or a reverse cache?

Thanks.

IMHO it's not any of these two options. Reverse caches are grandfathered, so it's useless to talk about this option and challenges are created as to be only about one (if I don't speak about special worldwide category administered by Groundspeak Lackeys) specific place.

Edited by puczmeloun

This sounds like what would have been considered a reverse or locationless cache: here is a thing, find things that are like it and post the coordinates. Those are no longer part of geocaching.

As to whether it's a challenge, that's hard to say, because Groundspeak hasn't really developed too many rules about challenges. The Knowledge Book entry on challenges doesn't really say anything, it just directs you to the frequentl asked questions on challenges. And all that says is this:

What is a Challenge?

Go somewhere, do something. That is the basic idea behind Geocaching Challenges. You might be challenged to hike the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, sing a song in the middle of Times Square, or take a picture of yourself walking through the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin.

OK, that's a little vague. What does "somewhere" mean? Specific coordinates or a specific address? Challenges are set up to be placed at a specific point, unless it's a worldwide challenge. The "worldwide challenge" category is currently restricted to Groundspeak only, but what you propose isn't take a picture of ANY urban art or graffiti, it's take a picture of São Paulo urban art or graffiti.

So, back to your question, is limiting it to a specific city like São Paulo enough?

The way I read this next section, I think maybe it is:

So is this a virtual geocache with another name?

Yes and no. Although Challenges can serve as a virtual cache replacement, they offer many more options. You can think of Geocaching Challenges as a combination of virtual, challenge, and locationless caches. The basic idea, "go somewhere, do something," can find expression in many different forms.

I think the bolded language gives you enough to go ahead with what you have.

Challenges aren't reviewed before they are published; they are rated by cachers after they are published. So there's really only one way to find out if this is a good challenge or not. I'd say go ahead and create the challenge, and we'll see what people say.

Challenges aren't reviewed before they are published; they are rated by cachers after they are published. So there's really only one way to find out if this is a good challenge or not. I'd say go ahead and create the challenge, and we'll see what people say.

In many parts of the world such a challenge would be flagged several times quite soon and would disappear then. I believe that the fact that a similar worldwide challenge exists might further aggravate the situation.

Cezanne

This is a reverse geocache (Locationless is how those were named on this site). There may be other sites where you could create that, but not here.

Geocaching challenges are to be location specific. Here's part of the directions you receive when you start to fill in the geocaching challenge form: What makes a good Challenge?

Location-specific

The location of a challenge should be directly related to the action. "Take a picture of yourself with the Eiffel Tower" is location-specific, while "Take pictures of the night sky in Seattle" or "Find this/a geocache" are not. The goal of Challenges, and Geocaching, is to explore the world around you.

There should only be one location where you can complete the challenge. Worldwide Challenges are only issued by Groundspeak, but you can recommend new Worldwide Challenges on our feedback site.