Need help geocaching with CacheSense on my Blackberry

I've been geocaching with my sister using her iPhone. I decided I wanted to geocache on my own too so I purchased the CacheSense app for my Blackberry smartphone and am really struggling to figure out how to use it. I managed to get a few geocaches loaded onto my Blackberry by GC number. Now I have no idea what to do to get the thing to navigate to the caches I have selected. The tutorial on the CacheSense website shows pocket queries being loaded onto the phone but I have no idea how to do that. Anyone out there familiar with CacheSense for Blackberry???

The best way to get your questions answered is to go to the CS boards.

Bruce, the developer of the actual program runs the boards and answers almost all the questions there...seemingly day AND night :).

And if he's not around, someone else there will speak up. And of course, Bruce, can't help but chime in once he gets a chance, hehe. He's very hands on and takes a lot of pride in seeing that no one has issues with his product.

Just post over there with some detailed info and you'll have a reply very quickly.

As a FYI, I use CS on my BB Storm2 and have had no issue at all...up to 200+ finds and now about to hide my 2nd cache.

The best way to get your questions answered is to go to the CS boards.

Bruce, the developer of the actual program runs the boards and answers almost all the questions there...seemingly day AND night :).

And if he's not around, someone else there will speak up. And of course, Bruce, can't help but chime in once he gets a chance, hehe. He's very hands on and takes a lot of pride in seeing that no one has issues with his product.

Just post over there with some detailed info and you'll have a reply very quickly.

As a FYI, I use CS on my BB Storm2 and have had no issue at all...up to 200+ finds and now about to hide my 2nd cache.

Best to run Pocket Query and download the .zip file to your PC. Use the BB PC software to transfer the .zip to a folder of your choice on the BB, then Import the GPX/ZIP. You can also create .GPX files by selecting a filter in GSAK and exporting. You will usually want to zip up the .GPX before copying to your BB.

If your BB receives the E-Mail address associates with your GC.COM account, you will get any PQs with less than 500 sites as attachments to your E-Mail and you can just download the attachment and import to CacheSense.

Actually, the easiest way if you have any PQ's, is to start CS, and click on the BB button, the click Pocket Queries. CS will connect to geocaching.com and you click on any of the PQ's you have and it'll automatically download them to your BB. It only takes a few seconds and you'll have a full PQ on your BB.

The geocaching.com Live API has enabled CS to fully interact with geocaching.com. You can log your finds (or DNF's), even post pictures, and even have CS post a newsfeed to Facebook or Twitter. You can download hints, the lastest logs, or even all of them if you have the time, hehe.

It's a pretty amazing app and I'm more than satisfied using it.

Actually, the easiest way if you have any PQ's, is to start CS, and click on the BB button, the click Pocket Queries. CS will connect to geocaching.com and you click on any of the PQ's you have and it'll automatically download them to your BB. It only takes a few seconds and you'll have a full PQ on your BB.

The geocaching.com Live API has enabled CS to fully interact with geocaching.com. You can log your finds (or DNF's), even post pictures, and even have CS post a newsfeed to Facebook or Twitter. You can download hints, the lastest logs, or even all of them if you have the time, hehe.

It's a pretty amazing app and I'm more than satisfied using it.

Thank you both for replying. I have not given up yet! lol. I did successfully figure out how to make a pocket queries on my PC and also got the PC loaded onto my Blackberry. But here's the $64,000 question........ HOW DO I GET MY BB TO NAVIGATE TO THE CACHE? When I bring up the compass or radar, there is nothing going on. Was I supposed to load some GPS software on my BB???

If you're using CS and a BB, you have two ways to get CS to recognize your PQ. You can download it directly from geocaching.com as I mentioned earlier, or if you already have it on you BB, click on the BB button and select "Import GPX/LOC" and browse to your PQ. Once you do that, you'll see your list of caches.

To activate a cache, click on one to select it and you'll see the cache details. Press the compass to activate the compass. It may take a 1/2 minute or so to get some satellite locks. You will know when you have a lock when you see the the number of "samples" start counting. Once you get some numbers (doesn't matter how many), press the "OK" button. Then give it another 1/2 minute to display your compass.

If you don't ever get a satellite lock, check to see that you have your GPS enabled with your BB. A quick check is to see if GPS works with your BB maps. Or you can go to your BB and click on Options/Advanced Options/GPS and see that it's enabled.

Again, I suggest you go to the CS Forums at http://www.zitafarm.com/forum/ as I'm just a user/beta tester and there are others much more knowledgeable about how this all works.

If you're using CS and a BB, you have two ways to get CS to recognize your PQ. You can download it directly from geocaching.com as I mentioned earlier, or if you already have it on you BB, click on the BB button and select "Import GPX/LOC" and browse to your PQ. Once you do that, you'll see your list of caches.

To activate a cache, click on one to select it and you'll see the cache details. Press the compass to activate the compass. It may take a 1/2 minute or so to get some satellite locks. You will know when you have a lock when you see the the number of "samples" start counting. Once you get some numbers (doesn't matter how many), press the "OK" button. Then give it another 1/2 minute to display your compass.

If you don't ever get a satellite lock, check to see that you have your GPS enabled with your BB. A quick check is to see if GPS works with your BB maps. Or you can go to your BB and click on Options/Advanced Options/GPS and see that it's enabled.

Again, I suggest you go to the CS Forums at http://www.zitafarm.com/forum/ as I'm just a user/beta tester and there are others much more knowledgeable about how this all works.

Yeah! Finally got it. Thanks Fryguy.

I went to Advanced Options on my BB. My GPS options now read:

GPS Data Source = Device GPS

GPS Services = Location On

Location Aiding = Enabled

Still couldn't get a lock on a satellite sitting here at my PC. Hubby took my BB out the back door and wa-la! (Now he's got some bragging rights because he knows how crazy frustrated I've been trying to get this thing to work for me.)

Only question I have now, how can I switch it from KM to miles?

Thanks again!

CacheHound

Edited by CacheHound136

Still couldn't get a lock on a satellite sitting here at my PC. Hubby took my BB out the back door and wa-la! (Now he's got some bragging rights because he knows how crazy frustrated I've been trying to get this thing to work for me.)

Thanks again!

CacheHound

To get the app to show miles, go to "Cachesense -> Options -> Units" and select either "Imperial (yards/miles)" or "Imperial (feet/miles)" according to your preference.

Edited by RebelGTP

Thanks again!

CacheHound

To get the app to show miles, go to "Cachesense -> Options -> Units" and select either "Imperial (yards/miles)" or "Imperial (feet/miles)" according to your preference.

Thanks again!

CacheHound