Best Handheld GPS to buy

EiserWood

I am thinking of buying my husband a handheld GPS for Christmas. He loves Geocaching and to date we have been using our car GPS but would like to look at something special.

I don't have a fixed budget in mind and would prefer a good quality item with all the bells and whistles. I know this will come at a cost.

We currently live in Hong Kong, previously from Australia so tend to Geocache between the two countries predominantly.

I'm technologically challenged so if someone could give me a few models to start with it would be much appreciated.

You'll want to read the "What GPS should I buy?" topic at the top of this forum, and also browse the reviews on Geocaching.com, but I'd be skittish about buying a specific model for someone else because different people prefer different weights, shapes, screen sizes, features, etc. Perhaps you could cut out a photo of a GPSr and wrap it up in a box with a small rock or something to fake him out on the weight of the present. :laughing: Then when he opens it, tell him that you'll let him choose his own present.

Thanks Wintertime. At the moment he's just using our standard car GPS so I don't think he has a set preference for weight or shape.

I've read the 'What GPS should I buy' topic and I'd imagine he'd be interested in the following options....

-Field notes;

-Decent sized screen, preferably with colour;

-Touch screen would be ideal;

-Large memory;

-External antenna jack;

-Basemap;

-12 channels or more;

-Interface jack;

Waterproof is not essential. Although something that could tolerate a light drizzle if we were caught out in the rain would be nice.

Thanks Wintertime. At the moment he's just using our standard car GPS so I don't think he has a set preference for weight or shape.

I've read the 'What GPS should I buy' topic and I'd imagine he'd be interested in the following options....

-Field notes;

-Decent sized screen, preferably with colour;

-Touch screen would be ideal;

-Large memory;

-External antenna jack;

-Basemap;

-12 channels or more;

-Interface jack;

Waterproof is not essential. Although something that could tolerate a light drizzle if we were caught out in the rain would be nicoe.

A GPS capable of Paperless Geocaching is I think the big feature to look for. (I think that would include field notes.) Though to use that he'd want a Premium membership. (If he doesn't already have one.) Color screens are pretty standard, except maybe for low end units. Touch screens aren't hard to find. Many mid-range to high end models allow the use of MicroSD cards for expanded storage. I'm not sure if any modern hiking style GPS units would have external antenna ports, that seems like a feature for older models or maybe car GPS units. Hiking style units are usually waterproof. USB interface is pretty standard for new GPS units now, even the Etrex 10 uses USB.

Two things I would look for in a Geocaching GPS are an Electronic Compass and WAAS. As far as Garmin units go, I'd look at the Oregon/Montana series units. Not sure about Montanas, but I know there are Oregon users here.

Edit: One little note about Garmin units, a t at the end of a model number (say 450t) indicates that unit should come with local Topographic maps. Other maps will be available for purchase through Garmin.

Edited by EdrickV

Edit: One little note about Garmin units, a t at the end of a model number (say 450t) indicates that unit should come with local Topographic maps. Other maps will be available for purchase through Garmin.

To add to that. The T models include DEM data needed to create 3D imagery on the GPSr. Lots of free, high quality topo maps are available at GPSfileDepot.com, but they don't include the DEM data. Also, please note the Donate button on the GPSfileDepot page and donate if you can. Lots of volunteer work goes into that site, but the ISP needs to be paid.

Two things I would look for in a Geocaching GPS are an Electronic Compass and WAAS.
WAAS is irrelevant outside North America. OP is shuttling between Hong Kong & Australia.

True, but you'll have a hard time finding a modern high-sensitivity receiver that doesn't support WAAS :P

Two things I would look for in a Geocaching GPS are an Electronic Compass and WAAS.
WAAS is irrelevant outside North America. OP is shuttling between Hong Kong & Australia.

WAAS may be only for North America, but there is EGNOS and MSAS too, and from what I've read they use WAAS compatible signals. (Though I'm not sure if MSAS is operational, the Wikipedia info is very sparse.) So it's not totally useless outside NA. I hadn't known there wasn't one or more system in operation in the Hong Kong or Australia areas though.

A GPS capable of Paperless Geocaching is I think the big feature to look for. (I think that would include field notes.) Though to use that he'd want a Premium membership. (If he doesn't already have one.) Color screens are pretty standard, except maybe for low end units. Touch screens aren't hard to find. Many mid-range to high end models allow the use of MicroSD cards for expanded storage. I'm not sure if any modern hiking style GPS units would have external antenna ports, that seems like a feature for older models or maybe car GPS units. Hiking style units are usually waterproof. USB interface is pretty standard for new GPS units now, even the Etrex 10 uses USB.

Two things I would look for in a Geocaching GPS are an Electronic Compass and WAAS. As far as Garmin units go, I'd look at the Oregon/Montana series units. Not sure about Montanas, but I know there are Oregon users here.

Here's one happy Montana user (650t). The Montana has every feature which the OP requested, including an external antenna connector (very rare these days). I have a 32 GB micro SD card in it, which results in a ridiculous amount of storage. ;) One of its coolest features is the dual battery system, which allows it to use a Li-ion battery (similar to a cell phone battery, and which can charge off of a USB port or charger), or 3 AA cells.

I used a smartphone for caching exclusively until I found the Montana; it really is a great piece of gear. That's saying something, because my phones have impressed me much more than any of the many other handhelds I've tried (including a friend's Oregon which I checked out already). The Montana has one of the largest (if not the largest) screens of any hiking type handheld, which is a big positive in my mind, though some people think the unit is too big. It's also one of the most expensive units out there, but then I have always preferred good gear to cheap gear.

To be fair, my first Montana did develop the common touchscreen problem, but the replacement unit has been flawless so far. I've really been enjoying using it for caching as well as car and bicycle navigation. The profiles are great, so I can switch in a matter of seconds from the equivalent of a car unit to a geocaching unit with totally different settings. There are still a few things I'd like to see the software do, but overall, it's the most versatile GPS receiver I've ever encountered.

Montana or Etrex 20 or 30(compass and barometer)

In the Us you don't need T models since the Free Topo's are even a lot better.

The Montana is a Gps you can use in the field and as a car navigator, extreme adjustable with different shortcuts, profiles and screens, but you need time to really learn how to do this.

The touchsreen issue is solved, else Garmin will replace it so no sweat about that.

Here's one happy Montana user (650t). The Montana has every feature which the OP requested, including an external antenna connector (very rare these days). I have a 32 GB micro SD card in it, which results in a ridiculous amount of storage. ;) One of its coolest features is the dual battery system, which allows it to use a Li-ion battery (similar to a cell phone battery, and which can charge off of a USB port or charger), or 3 AA cells.

I used a smartphone for caching exclusively until I found the Montana; it really is a great piece of gear. That's saying something, because my phones have impressed me much more than any of the many other handhelds I've tried (including a friend's Oregon which I checked out already). The Montana has one of the largest (if not the largest) screens of any hiking type handheld, which is a big positive in my mind, though some people think the unit is too big. It's also one of the most expensive units out there, but then I have always preferred good gear to cheap gear.

To be fair, my first Montana did develop the common touchscreen problem, but the replacement unit has been flawless so far. I've really been enjoying using it for caching as well as car and bicycle navigation. The profiles are great, so I can switch in a matter of seconds from the equivalent of a car unit to a geocaching unit with totally different settings. There are still a few things I'd like to see the software do, but overall, it's the most versatile GPS receiver I've ever encountered.

For $700 MSRP, it had better live up to all that and drive the car for me while I sit back & drink tea (which it made for me) all the way to the cache.