Bug - Accented characters get distorted

astrandb

Accented characters are not treated properly in MobiPocket and EasyGPS.

They look OK in the XML-file but are displayed as two-byte sequencies in Mobipocket and EasyGPS.

Räksmörgås (a swedish prawn sandwich) is displayed as RäksmörgÃ¥s.

This cache Vår Gård gets unredable when downloaded in XML format. I think it works with the old .loc format.

/Åke S

My lap top and my PDA both get weird characters when viewing the printer friendly cache pages.

I also get crazy symbols in the forum posts. I only view the forums with my laptop. Some times I have to decipher what word some one has typed. Seems to happen when a hyphen or an apostrophe is used.

Preparation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpggeol1.jpg

Mokita!

The problem is simple: the pocket queries generate their results in UTF-8, which is an encoding for Unicode characters that happens to cause characters in the range 0x80-0xFF (the Latin-1 extensions, which include accented characters and "smart quotes") to be represented as two characters. The character å is 0xE5 in ISO Latin-1 (what some folks call Codepage 1252.) In UTF-8, 0xE5 is represented as 0xC3 0xA5, which ends up looking like Ã¥ if you don't support UTF-8. PalmOS - and apparently EasyGPS as well - do not support UTF-8.

It's possible to convert that range of UTF-8 characters back to CP 1252, but the only place it really makes sense to do that is before it gets sent out from geocaching.com.

warm.gif

[This message was edited by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy on October 28, 2002 at 08:02 AM.]