From a newbie!

chrisburbage

Ok...so I stumbled across this idea a week or so ago..Looked about and thought it looked like fun!

So I have now paid up as a premium member for three months to give it try, and see if I like it enough to get a yearly subscription, and have downloaded the application to my HTC ChaCha phone. It is the only GPS type device I own at the moment, again, however, if I enjoy caching as much as I think I will, I will invest in more state of the art tecnology!

So, I may head out and give it a try in the next day or so.

Any advice, tips or anything silly that I should do that may not be as obvious to a newbie like me, but that you more seasoned cachers may be able to offer?

I have looked and there seems to be a number of hides within a few miles of me, so these are what I will be heading for first.

The usual advice: skip caches listed as "micro", go for "small" or even better "regular" or "large" instead. Also skip caches with a high difficulty rating (higher than 2 or so). Skipping the ones that haven't been found recently might also be a good idea.

Don't expect your GPS/phone to put you right on top of the cache. It will only get you close (sometimes closer than other times), but you'll have to actually find the cache yourself.

Good luck!

Edited by dfx

Welcome :)

Read the two pinned topics at the top of this forum, they cover the basics you need to know.

You may see many very short logs - just abbreviations like TFTC or TNLNSL (Thanks for the cache - Took nothing, left nothing, signed log). It's OK to do this but be aware that most cache owners appreciate having a sentence (or even two!) as a log, if you can manage it.

If you find any type of trackable item in a cache (that's a travel bug or a geocoin) make a note of the tracking number on it ASAP. You won't be able to log its retrieve/drop off without the tracking number and if you make an error you'll need to refer back to that number to make any necessary corrections.

Also important - Have fun.

And, if you can't find any, don't give up. Come back here and we'll give you more help/advice.

MrsB :)

Have fun on the hunt...if it stops being fun, log the cache as DNF (did not find), put it on your watchlist and try another day, move on to the next cache.

Use the clues/hints/description and stick with larger, easier difficulty level and terrain rating, to start.

We're here to help - let us know how you get on! Welcome aboard :)

A common recommendation for beginners is to stick with small small.gif size, regular regular.gif size, and large large.gif size caches. Until you're more experienced, avoid micro micro.gif size caches, some of which are smaller than most beginners can imagine (sometimes called "nanos"). Save those for later, after you have some experience.

Also, stick with caches that have a difficulty rating of no more than 2 stars stars2.gif. Save the more difficult ones for later. You may also want to choose caches with easy terrain ratings. (The difficulty rating tells you how hard it is to find the cache once you get there. The terrain rating tells you how hard it is to get there.) And it is often best to start with traditional 2.gif caches, which will be at the published coordinates. Multi-caches 3.gif or mystery/puzzle caches 8.gif or other cache types can require more work just to figure out where the container is located.

Under ideal conditions, a consumer GPSr will be accurate to about 3m (10'). That applies both to your device, and to the cache owner’s device, so you may find the container 15-20' from ground zero under ideal conditions. Under less than ideal conditions, both GPSr readings can be much less accurate. Once you get within that distance of ground zero, put your device away and look around for places where a container could be hidden.

Go ahead and read the cache's additional hints (if provided), and read the past logs and look at any photos in the cache's image gallery. They may help you understand what you're looking for, and how/where it may be hidden. It may also help to look at some of the cache containers available online. For example, check out the cache containers sold by Groundspeak. Also, take a look at the Pictures - Cool Cache Containers (CCC's) thread in the forums.

If you're going to use a smartphone for caching I'd recommend a spare battery as well. I use my Droid Charge during the work week and my Garmin on the weekends. Enabling the GPS feature on the phone will kill your battery quicker than you can imagine.

And if you're tromping around in the woods, wear long pants (says the guy with poison ivy on his ankles).

You should log out and back in on both the main site and the forums to make sure your status is updated properly. (You still show as a basic member here.)

Then look into Pocket Queries. Don't know exactly how the app you use works, but if it can use Pocket Queries, then I'd say do it. That way you should have your cache info even if you don't have a cellular signal.

Thanks for all the tips..

Went out yesterday and found my first 4 caches and I do believe me and the missus may have the bug! Especially as we went out in the countryside for an afternoon with the parents walking and ended the hunt with a nice pub dinner!

Your right about the smartphone battery not lasting too long though, So I am thinking that roll on payday I may be looking to see what GPS devices are out there. May add it to my christmas list and see if Santa feels like suprising me! Was all good fun though and thanks for making me so welcome.