A Halloween Geocache adventure?

cryptoz

New Geocacher here,

I was wondering if I could ask you veteran geocachers a few questions, if you'd please.

1. Do you think Geocaching on Halloween is a good idea?

2. What would be the easiest way to build an itinerary of 'spooky' places around my area (Dallas, Tx)? I've searched and found tons near me, but does there anywhere exist a compiled list of 'Halloween' type adventures from people with this in mind specifically? I used the search function, and turned up people having series' of 'haunted' caches but I don't know if there is a compiled list of them anywhere that are specific to the Dallas or North Texas area.

3. How many caches do you think you can reasonably complete in one day (allowing for a close proximity of caches)?

4. Does anyone reliably use or prefer to use a smartphone? I know it is possible, but is it equally easy to use, or is it frustrating?

5. Where can I talk to other Dallas geocachers? I found a Texas geocaching organization's website, but it isn't super active. I don't think the 'region' section of this community site actually has a message board, only an events list, correct?

If you can answer any of my questions, or give me any of your sage advise otherwise, I'd be much obliged. I've read the introduction and FAQ threads, but I wanted to introduce myself and ask some specifics.

EDIT: SWEET I found something similar to what I was looking for, just had to look through every page:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ea7d7a6d-3cd8-4a4a-bdc6-55bf69a5f7db

Still, is there any place where these are all collected together?

Edited by cryptoz

If you set caches, remember there is a minimum time they need to be active and listed on the site -3 months

What do you mean by this? Sorry, I am just confused.

Link > http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=307#perm

2.1. Listing Guidelines that Apply to All Geocaches

This page is an extension of our Geocache Listing Requirements / Guidelines.

5. # Geocache Permanence: Geocaches are placed for the long term. Geocachers will expect your cache to remain in place for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move ("traveling caches"), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) will not be published.

If you set caches, remember there is a minimum time they need to be active and listed on the site -3 months

What do you mean by this? Sorry, I am just confused.

Link > http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=307#perm

2.1. Listing Guidelines that Apply to All Geocaches

This page is an extension of our Geocache Listing Requirements / Guidelines.

5. # Geocache Permanence: Geocaches are placed for the long term. Geocachers will expect your cache to remain in place for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move ("traveling caches"), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) will not be published.

Thank you for the clarification. It makes sense now. :)

3. How many caches do you think you can reasonably complete in one day (allowing for a close proximity of caches)?
Define "reasonably".

The most I've found in a day is 15. The way I like to go geocaching, I think that's reasonable.

On a numbers run trail like the ET Highway trail or the Route 66 trail, a good team can find several hundred in a day, even without shortcuts like leapfrogging or swap & drop (or whatever you call it). Even before numbers run trails like that were being listed, teams were finding a few hundred in a day, in certain target-rich environments.

4. Does anyone reliably use or prefer to use a smartphone? I know it is possible, but is it equally easy to use, or is it frustrating?
For spur-of-the-moment geocaching in areas where you have a data connection, a smartphone is great. My experience using Android phones (G1 and Nexus One) is that their reception and accuracy are roughly equivalent to the old yellow eTrex units that used to be the standard entry-level GPSr for geocaching. Combine that with software that allows you to view cache data, navigate to a cache, and post field notes (I've used GeoBeagle, Groundspeak's Geocaching app, and Neongeo), and spur-of-the-moment geocaching is very easy.

But there's still a place for dedicated GPSr devices. They're more robust and waterproof. They have much better battery life. And modern ones have much better accuracy and reception in adverse conditions (e.g., under heavy tree cover or in steep canyons).