Recommendations for free Android App

Lollipobs

Hiya,

I am about to begin my very first Geocache hunt, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent free Android App. I am UK based and using a Motorola DEXT. I'm looking for something free (or cheap) to get me started, and then if i get on with geocaching I will go ahead and buy the Groundspeak app.

Thanks in advance,

Jessie

Hiya,

I am about to begin my very first Geocache hunt, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent free Android App. I am UK based and using a Motorola DEXT. I'm looking for something free (or cheap) to get me started, and then if i get on with geocaching I will go ahead and buy the Groundspeak app.

Thanks in advance,

Jessie

Geobeagle and Geohunter are both nice free applications, although you need to be a premium member to take full advantage of these apps. You can still get started with them though.

You could also just use a free app such as GPS Status and simply enter the cache coordinates by hand.

Cheers.

Hiya,

Thanks in advance,

Jessie

You might try using "GPS Status" from the Android Market. It's either free or nearly so... It's just numbers, like a basic GPS, no mapping, but a decent compass and L&L displays in various modes.

I have been using something called ATracker for my G2x:

http://market.android.com/details?id=com.jeff.android.atracker

I guess the main fuction of the software is to send position reports to a map server where your tracks are saved. I have been using it keep track of hikes and view them with Google Earth. A very cool feature is the photo-upload. SO you see your snaps on the map where you took the picture.

Anyway, the waypoint system works great for geocaching. Best part is it's free. Downside is that you have to request an account on the map server. Although if the tracking isnt wanted I think you can just use the waypoints.

Ox

We use c:geo opensource, but I was wondering what would different with the geobeagle that I would want to it over the opensource. Is it more accurate?

Geobeagle only gets it's data from Pocket Queries that you copy to your device. If you want to get your data live, you need to use c:geo or Columbus.