Thoughts on 550 and Price

Colorado3G's

Just wanted to get a few thoughts on the Garmin Oregan 550 vs the 550t....including the rebate the best prices I'm seeing is $350 (550) or $436 (550t). Looking at getting something nice for the family this Christmas and with the rebate expiring - I'm thinking either looks good..... Thoughts....? Are people generally liking these.....it seems to be popular on the forums? Thanks!

maybe...it all depends on what you value...for one the convenience carrying one item or two

i do prefer my Olympus, which i carry most times but i found myself in situations where knowing that i have the camera on the GPS available made me decide to leave the Olympus behind, mainly at times where water is involved or i simply want to travel light

the point i was trying to make is that is not as mediocre as people think

Now you have me thinking whether I really need a camera or not...it's a nice idea but that seems to be the only differnce between the 450 and 550 unless I'm missing something. The idea is nice and it is convenient....hmmmm! A question...can you post a picture direct with your log or do you have to download then upload it with the log in your Field Notes transfer? My guess is no.... Thanks for your help.....

Love my 550t, wouldn't trade it for anything. Had the opportunity to turn it in for a Montana, and turned it down.

It's a great GPS, does everything I could ever need it to do and more. The camera is a feature that I am unwilling to trade. If I have my GPS on me, I have a camera on me, no questions asked. No more "I forgot the camera at home/in the car/wherever." It's on me everywhere I go.

I've taken some pretty darned nice photos with it, too.

I was simply stating that when purchasing the 550 you are paying an extra $100 (list, YMMV) for a 3.2 megapixel camera. Again, JMHO.

I've got a 550 and love the camera.

Oh - and that's an extra $100 for a waterproof, shockproof, geotagging 3.2 meg camera - and worth every extra dollar for those attributes alone! :)

I would, however, shy away from paying for Garmin's topo mapping when there are better, free, alternatives out there ;)

Edited by keehotee