Mac OS X compatible GPS devices?

snailbandit

y heart just sank a little when I realized that the eTrex 30 was only Windows compatible (I may be wrong about this).

Hi, Snailbandit.

Where did you read that the new eTrex 30 was only compatible with Windows systems? If it was the REI website, I asked them about that 2-3 weeks ago and got a response that indeed, the new 10, 20, and 30 will also work with Macs. I'm surprised they haven't updated their website yet. If it was REI, please send them a note asking them to fix the website! If it was somewhere else, push back on them about it!

I also sent a note to Garmin but have not heard back. However, I'm sure that the REI customer service person was correct, because Garmin has been supporting Macs for years. You'll want to know about this page on the Garmin website:

http://www8.garmin.com/macosx/

FYI, I've been using a Garmin GPS III+ with Macs for the past 10 years. AFAIK, Garmin has the best Mac support of any manufacturer of consumer GPS receivers.

This is interesting. I haven't even begun to look at GPSs yet. I am also on a Mac so I will be watching this and doing a bit of research myself. We also have Windows PCs (for the kids) in the house so thankfully I won't have to worry as much about it but really do prefer to work on my own laptop or desktop which are both Macs. Right now I am only using the iPhone 3Gs.

I will be looking into the Garmin GPS units for two reasons. 1, the statement that Garmin has the best Mac support and 2, I happen to live within 5 miles of Garmin's headquarters so like to support my local business as well as my local city's economy. :)

Where did you read that the new eTrex 30 was only compatible with Windows systems? If it was the REI website, I asked them about that 2-3 weeks ago and got a response that indeed, the new 10, 20, and 30 will also work with Macs. I'm surprised they haven't updated their website yet. If it was REI, please send them a note asking them to fix the website! If it was somewhere else, push back on them about it!

Thanks for the clarification Wintertime! It was indeed REI's website. Will have to send them a message about it.

Edited by snailbandit

Thanks for the clarification Wintertime! It was indeed REI's website. Will have to send them a message about it.

I just migrated to Mac and after upgrading to OS X Lion, discovered it won't talk to the Delorme PN-40. It seems Delorme is in no hurry to address this so, unless you are on a previous OS X, disregard Delorme as an option.

Achtung, how frustrating that everything was working okay and now it isn't. :-( Personally, I'm sticking with Snow Leopard for as long as possible, but I hope that Garmin's receivers support Lion better than your Delorme does.

SmallsKC, if we Mac owners have problems with the new eTrex models, or if anyone has trouble with Lion and and older Garmin, we'll send you over to Garmin HQ to slap them upside the head. :-)

Snailbandit and anyone else who cares, please do bang on REI about that mistake in the specs for the new eTrex models. I'm disappointed that they haven't fixed it yet. The should realize that they might lose some sales from having the wrong information.

Edited by Wintertime

Achtung, how frustrating that everything was working okay and now it isn't. :-( Personally, I'm sticking with Snow Leopard for as long as possible, but I hope that Garmin's receivers support Lion better than your Delorme does.

For what it's worth, I upgraded to Lion a few weeks ago. All my Garmin programs, such as BaseCamp, MapInstall, etc. work fine, and I've had no trouble connecting and transferring data to and from my eTrex HCx and Nüvi.

The eTrex 30 is not even available yet, right? I would be extremely surprised if Mac OS was not supported (Lion or otherwise).

Cheers.