Please help me - problem finding multi-stage caches

Vanilija

I'm new to Geocaching and would really really appreciate some information about how to track caches with multiple stages.

I own a Garmin Nuvi 550 and as I became a premium member here on this website, I first created a new pocket querry with almost 500 caches around my home location. After loading them to my GPS I noticed that most of the caches have multiple stages - it shows only the first stage and then I have to check the "View Description" section of the cache on the gps to see the question for the current stage and the coordinates for the next stage.

My question is how to use those coordinates? Do I have to write them down from the description and go back to the main menu of my GPS and click on "Coordinates" to type them in? Does everyone do it like that and write coordinates of other stages down? I was hoping there would be a faster way of making the GPS ready for the next stage :/

Furthermore - the final stage where you have to calculate the coordinates - does everyone do it manually on paper and then input them into the GPS?

Please if someone could tell me about finding these multi-stage caches and how to make it simpler to input the coordinates, that would be great. Is there no app where you could just insert the answers to the questions (numbers) and it would automatically calculate the coordinates? Seems to me, I would have more chances to find it that way hehe

Thank you for any help.

Kind regards,

Vanja

Don't use the Garmin Nuvi...

A lot depends on the type of Multi-cache.

Some are "Go to *these* coordinates and read the information, then go to *these* coordinates and read some more information. Use the numbers to work out the final coordinates"

These multi's should have the coordinates as Additional Waypoints and should be included in a GPX file download.

The other type of multi is "Go to *these* coordinates, read the information or find a container with more coordinates in, enter new coordinates for the next stage..."

Now, not knowing the Nuvi, I'm not sure how to enter the new coordinates. :unsure: But I'm sure someone will be along soon! :)

Yes to do a multi you may need to figure out the cords to the next stage or the first stage will contain the cords for the next. No matter how the multi is set up you will probably have to enter the cords for the next stage(s) in manually as you find them.

Ok, now here is my problem.... I have a garmin colorado300 and I can´t figure out how to put in hand-entered coordinates.... so I get stuck When it comes to the multi´s.... help! Can´t find any description on the owners manual...?? Hi from Sweden

Yes to do a multi you may need to figure out the cords to the next stage or the first stage will contain the cords for the next. No matter how the multi is set up you will probably have to enter the cords for the next stage(s) in manually as you find them.

Ok, now here is my problem.... I have a garmin colorado300 and I can´t figure out how to put in hand-entered coordinates.... so I get stuck When it comes to the multi´s.... help! Can´t find any description on the owners manual...?? Hi from Sweden

With most Garmins there is a way to mark a location. Once the location is marked you are shown a screen with the location information. There you should be able to edit everything from the name of the waypoint, to the description, notes, and cords. So edit the cords from there and then select that waypoint as your next destination.

EDIT: try the wiki.

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Waypoints

Edited by mpilchfamily

The Nuvi 500/550 are kind of odd as Nuvi's go, since they actually have support for paperless Geocaching. (Probably no field notes though.)

As far as doing multi-caches, for any coordinates not given on the cache page (aka hidden coordinates) you would have to navigate to them via Where To?|Coordinates. I don't know if non-hidden coordinates can be selected for navigation from the cache info page, but if not then you'd also have to note them down and do the same thing as hidden coordinates. You might see if the manual has any info on that. (I know pocket queries come with two files, one for "additional waypoints" so some of those, say parking coordinates, may show up separate from the cache.)

For the 500/550 you shouldn't need to do anything special to do paperless Geocaching, just use Send To GPS button or put Pocket Queries in a Garmin\GPX folder on either the internal storage or memory card. (For other Nuvi models there's a GSAK macro that can let you get at least some of the description, hint, and logs but that involves loading the caches as Points of Interest rather then .gpx files.

Note that the 500/550 do not have an electronic compass, so the compass screen may not be all that useful.