micro cache containers

Jackarmy4

Jackarmy4, I just gotta say, "Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!"

If for nothing else, for seeking an alternative to the poster child of crappy containers. As the Rasta Pooch stated above, match containers work great, and they are readily available. Another quality micro is the soda bottle preform. If you don't mind bulk, you can get 30 for $20. These things are unbelievably tough. Or, for a couple bucks each, you can buy Bison Design containers, which are machined, as opposed to the el-cheapo stamped out ones available on E-bay.

The SO got these things to use as containers for waypoint clues. Obviously they need camo though. They have O-rings, but we live in a friendly climate and have silicone to treat them with during maintenance checks. We already bought them, so we'll try them. If they don't stand the test, then we'll have to find something new...

Those are the classic "Bison tube" (probably not the originals, which are by Bison Designs). They make a great container (provided the o-ring is replaced as needed)

Jackarmy4, I just gotta say, "Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!"

If for nothing else, for seeking an alternative to the poster child of crappy containers. As the Rasta Pooch stated above, match containers work great, and they are readily available. Another quality micro is the soda bottle preform. If you don't mind bulk, you can get 30 for $20. These things are unbelievably tough. Or, for a couple bucks each, you can buy Bison Design containers, which are machined, as opposed to the el-cheapo stamped out ones available on E-bay.

thanks for the link CR, I've heard people talk about preforms but never knew what they are. Turns out, I own a cache that uses one, go figure... :blink:

Yup. Matchstick containers. Available online or at your local sporting goods store, Walmart, Target, K-Mart, etc. for about a buck.

matchstick3a.jpg

These are great especially when you swap out the flat seal with an O-ring. The O-rings are available at Home Depot, Lowes, or probably any hardware store.

Yup. Matchstick containers. Available online or at your local sporting goods store, Walmart, Target, K-Mart, etc. for about a buck.

matchstick3a.jpg

These are great especially when you swap out the flat seal with an O-ring. The O-rings are available at Home Depot, Lowes, or probably any hardware store.

I have several of these hidden including one near a river that had very high water all spring and most of summer. I'm pretty sure the cache was actually underwater for at least a week and possibly several weeks. When the water finally went back to a normal level I went out to check on the cache. The log was a little damp but by no means the worst condition I've ever seen.

matchstick3a.jpg

The o-ring cots twice as much as the container at my local hardware store. I like the smallest lock -n lock for a micro!

matchstick3a.jpg

The o-ring cots twice as much as the container at my local hardware store. I like the smallest lock -n lock for a micro!

They are like $6 for pack of 10 last time I bought from Home Depot, so that makes the match container + o-ring about $1.60 total.

You don't have to swap the seal. But I've found that the flat seal is really easy to get stretched out of alignment when cachers over tighten and then it's like there is no seal at all.