Maintenance Question

wrongwayshorty

Hi everyone! I'm still relatively new to this, but I've managed to sucker a few friends into going with me lately :) I really don't want to teach them bad geocaching habbits, so I'm curious about something.

If a log is in horrible shape (soaked, slimey, "felt like it burned my friend's hand" and is just generally a gross, unsignable, mess) is it proper caching etiquette to discard and replace the log if you can and place a note on the online log, or leave it as is, leave a note online, and come back if you can? I'm thinking common sense is to replace it if you can, but I don't want to offend anyone by throwing away their logs. Any help here would be greatly appreciated :)

If the cache is large enough to add a dry log, some people will say it's OK to do it. But you still haven't addressed the problem of a leaky container. I think a needs maintenance is the better route.

If you need to remove the old log to add a new one, I think it's always better to log a Needs Maintenance and let the owner take care of it. Some might not appreciate you removing their log. I know I wouldn't.

Edited by briansnat

If the cache is large enough to add a dry log, some people will say it's OK to do it. But you still haven't addressed the problem of a leaky container. I think a needs maintenance is the better route.

If you need to remove the old log to add a new one, I think it's always better to log a Needs Maintenance and let the owner take care of it. Some might not appreciate you removing their log. I know I wouldn't.

+1

When I'm in that situation I replace the log in the cache, then email the cache owner to ask if he'd like me to mail him/her the gross, wet, moldy, stinky old log. I'm usually told to throw it in the trash!

+1

Needs a new container. The replacement log will become a gross, wet, moldy stinky old log in a few weeks.

When I'm in that situation I replace the log in the cache, then email the cache owner to ask if he'd like me to mail him/her the gross, wet, moldy, stinky old log. I'm usually told to throw it in the trash!

+1

Needs a new container. The replacement log will become a gross, wet, moldy stinky old log in a few weeks.

But not if I put in in a ziploc wich I also carry in my geobag

We always carry a variety of ziplocks with us (you can pick them up really cheaply in the craft section of the dollar store). If the log is soaked, that goes in a bag. If the container is compromised and the rest of the contents are soaked, we dry them off as much as possible and they go in a second bag. Then we sign and place a few loose pages in a third bag as a temporary log that other cachers can use until the CO can get out to do maintenance.

When we get home we log the find and then a separate maintenance log explaining what we did.

what about in instances where there is no log present at all in a cache? i recently found my first cache and it was a micro, room for a log only. there was no log at all, so i came back and logged it as needing maintenance. somebody else actually told me that i should have just replaced the log instead of what i did. i feel kind of dumb now. :unsure:

what about in instances where there is no log present at all in a cache? i recently found my first cache and it was a micro, room for a log only. there was no log at all, so i came back and logged it as needing maintenance. somebody else actually told me that i should have just replaced the log instead of what i did. i feel kind of dumb now. :unsure:

It depends on how much of a pedant you want to be. Some geocachers are strict "you must sign the log" adherents and would not log a find in this case because there was no log to sign.

If it were me I'd try to provide some sort of evidence of my find. That evidence could be a photo of the container in my online log, or leaving a business card or slip of paper with my name on it.

I think most geocachers would do what I would do.

Unless you have a proper log book with you to place in the cache, logging a Needs Maintenance is also appropriate.