Benefits of Premium on iPhone 4

matt_tee

I do not have a GPS unit (at the moment!) and I am using the iPhone 4. I have found lots of caches up to now, so the iPhone seems to work ok....

The question that I am asking is, what benefits/extras would I get on my iPhone if I signed up to a Geocaching Premium account?

I really want to support the site, but also want to see something for my money....

Is it more reasonable to wait until I get a decent GPS unit, before signing up?

Thanks for your help, and I apologise in advance if my question is a 'newbie' one!

Kind regards,

Matt

I do not have a GPS unit (at the moment!) and I am using the iPhone 4. I have found lots of caches up to now, so the iPhone seems to work ok....

The question that I am asking is, what benefits/extras would I get on my iPhone if I signed up to a Geocaching Premium account?

I really want to support the site, but also want to see something for my money....

Is it more reasonable to wait until I get a decent GPS unit, before signing up?

Thanks for your help, and I apologise in advance if my question is a 'newbie' one!

Kind regards,

Matt

On the i-phone, I use an iphone 4 with official app also Geosphere. Premium membership gives Pocket Queries--which you can also install on official app. Personnally I prefer Geosphere for this. The reason is these Queries will give you GeoCaching files and they also sort faster when there is no 3G and you can't load anything wih the official app. I have used this feature many times when geocaching with the phone where there is no service.

On the i-phone, I use an iphone 4 with official app also Geosphere. Premium membership gives Pocket Queries--which you can also install on official app. Personnally I prefer Geosphere for this. The reason is these Queries will give you GeoCaching files and they also sort faster when there is no 3G and you can't load anything wih the official app. I have used this feature many times when geocaching with the phone where there is no service.

So what you are saying is that there is a benefit from going premium?

How do i upload PQ's onto iPhone 4?

Thanks,

Matt

Pocket queries is a big advantage, you can get a lot more caches with a lot less effort...if you do a search from the app it only gives you the nearest 20 or so, then you have to move your search on the map to get others...works, but slow and cludgy, especially if you're in a poor data area. You can send a PQ containing hundreds of caches to the phone and save it, and access the info even if you don't have data coverage.

The other thing about Premium membership that I like is new cache notifications... You can set up your account to send you an e-mail whenever a new cache is published in your area (based on a specified radius from your home location). Very handy if you like going for FTF's.

So what you are saying is that there is a benefit from going premium?

How do i upload PQ's onto iPhone 4?

Thanks,

Matt

You don't upload PQs to the iPhone... you download them from within the app.

The app also allows you to build a group of caches up (which can be more than the 1000 that a PQ can hold. In theory, without premium, you can store all the caches in the country, and do it today. The advantage of the PQ is the time taken to build these files... 30 minutes yourself against seconds on the Groundspeak server. The disadvantage of this is that you cannot do this on demand, and you can only produce 5 PQs a day... building your own on iphone is possible anytime and as many times as you like in a day.