Oregon 450T issues - Maps.

alflavor

Hi

Any help appreciated. So I got myself a new Oregon 450T a few weeks ago, and I put an excellent free map on my unit using openstreetmaps data.

I went to Holland and a friend wanted to help me by putting some good benelux maps on - this he did with Mapsource.

Problem is this was copied over my OSM map.

I have taken the Benelux map from my Garmin onto my desktop - this is now called gmapsupp.img

I have my UK map on my desktop called gmapsupp2.img

There are no maps on the garmin currently other than the base map, yet the Garmin is telling me it has no free space for any map!

I am currently in the process of putting my UK Map onto a spare micro SD Card, but prefer them on the Garmin.

So any reason why my Garmin would be showing just 139.2mb free with no big map files installed?? All I have is one PQ and few other caches saved!

Any help please as I have a week off work and really wanted to put in some quality caching!

Edited by alflavor

Not a clue on the memory.

Put ALL your maps except the "T" maps on a SD card. Use AnyName.img to name the various maps. MapSource can ONLY make a map file of the name Gmapsupp.img, so if one exists it will overwrite that file, same as any computer except it won't warn you like most computers. MapSource will NOT overwrite your AnyName.img files.

Ok so I put the map for the UK in a file called Garmin on the SD, and now it works. But doesn't explain why Garmin showing only 132 odd MB free from the 4gb onboard ?

The "T' maps are over 3GB. Most Oregons have only 1GB of memory, only the T's have 4GB. Find the T map file: gmap???.img to see the exact size.

Ok so I put the map for the UK in a file called Garmin on the SD, and now it works. But doesn't explain why Garmin showing only 132 odd MB free from the 4gb onboard ?

The "T' maps are over 3GB. Most Oregons have only 1GB of memory, only the T's have 4GB. Find the T map file: gmap???.img to see the exact size.

Well, according to the specs, it should have at least 850 MB free memory nonetheless...

There are no maps on the garmin currently other than the base map, yet the Garmin is telling me it has no free space for any map!

Guess we should start here. If you are using a Mac, be aware that the bright boys in Cupertino think it's good that external storage devices (like a thumb drive or your Oregon) have LOCAL trash cans. Until you empty the trash, your deleted files are still there, invisible, taking up space on your device.

The second problem of uSD cards ... I've run across this as well, and oddly, it's always with cheap Class 2 cards. Not only will these bomb the performance, they are sometimes not recognized. Class 4 almost hits the max performance of your unit, but not quite. Class 6 seems to be the point at which no faster card will change the performance. That said, with 4GB on a "T" model, you may find the uSD unnecessary. Start with the above.

If you are using a Mac, be aware that the bright boys in Cupertino think it's good that external storage devices (like a thumb drive or your Oregon) have LOCAL trash cans. Until you empty the trash, your deleted files are still there, invisible, taking up space on your device.

Thank you Mr Anderson,

I was unaware of those subtleties, non filed away in Ahah!!!

Make sure you have the correct folder structure on your SD card too.

I think the unit ignores anything outside of the base directory.

garminfolders.jpg

This works, some variations may work too. Note that I keep my geocaches in a subdirectory so they don't get buried in waypoints or vice versa.