The site is having major database issues....

mrp

I've been trying to submit a log intermittently for the last 12 hours, but I can't get it to work. It looks like the site is having major database load issues, since the error always comes out something like:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80040E31)

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

Jeremy, have you got a handle in this? Any ETR? Could you use some help optimizing queries or coding a transparent write-through caching system?

-- Mitch

Just rebooted it. Seemed to clear it up. Also went in and did some work on some of the queries to make them more efficient. California has 2000 caches now and that's quite a recordset to walk through. Working on some ways to make this more efficient.

Jeremy

'

ODBC drivers are the best of times and the worst of times of data transferanceicon_smile.gif-

Some of the better wrtiiten onces work nice enough on a certian scale, most them work like 5 pounds of pewp in a 10 pound sack when the load rises above the causal use level.

Some things to think about.

Taking the entry and reporting functions and spliting them up. Doing the reporting from a seperate warehouse can often spread the load out by being able to build screens/views of common querys. Also cutting it away from the entry means your not hitting on the DB comming and going.

Another thing to consider is the engine your using to drive it all. M$sql is a tad better than MSAccess, but both can be a pain. I have used MySQL on occasion for semilarge traffic but it has some flaws.

So far I have to say this site has held up really well. The glitches that do occur seem less tefchincal problems and more just plain growing pain problems. The tech will grow to fix that.

Aint datadriven work fun?icon_smile.gif-

-tom

----------------------------

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org

ODBC drivers are the best of times and the worst of times of data transferance:)-

Some of the better wrtiiten onces work nice enough on a certian scale, most them work like 5 pounds of pewp in a 10 pound sack when the load rises above the causal use level.

Some things to think about.

Taking the entry and reporting functions and spliting them up. Doing the reporting from a seperate warehouse can often spread the load out by being able to build screens/views of common querys. Also cutting it away from the entry means your not hitting on the DB comming and going.

Another thing to consider is the engine your using to drive it all. M$sql is a tad better than MSAccess, but both can be a pain. I have used MySQL on occasion for semilarge traffic but it has some flaws.

So far I have to say this site has held up really well. The glitches that do occur seem less tefchincal problems and more just plain growing pain problems. The tech will grow to fix that.

Aint datadriven work fun?:D-

-tom

----------------------------

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org

We're going to have a much beefier SQL server in the next few weeks (And will be moving to a new ISP as well). We're also upgrading to the Enterprise version of SQL which has some pleasant benefits. We're definitely having growing pains, but will sort itself out soon.

.NET has some other benefits as well.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

Just rebooted it. Seemed to clear it up. Also went in and did some work on some of the queries to make them more efficient. California has 2000 caches now and that's quite a recordset to walk through. Working on some ways to make this more efficient.

Jeremy

'

I'm sure you've spent lots of time on ASP but hey, if you really want to make 'er rip MySQL is rated as the FASTEST database from what I've heard! As for PHP... well that's just because it has native support for MySQL. You can use an ODBC connection to MySQL but I'm sure that it would not be overly fast.

The MAIN reason to suggest PHP/MySQL is so you can ditch the "souped up desktop" OS called Windoze and use something ressembling a REAL server like OpenBSD or FreeBSD (Ok, linux if you really have to!!!)

Just my $0.02 worth!!!

icon_smile.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

Jeremy

'

I'm sure you've spent lots of time on ASP but hey, if you really want to make 'er rip MySQL is rated as the FASTEST database from what I've heard! As for PHP... well that's just because it has native support for MySQL. You can use an ODBC connection to MySQL but I'm sure that it would not be overly fast.

The MAIN reason to suggest PHP/MySQL is so you can ditch the "souped up desktop" OS called Windoze and use something ressembling a REAL server like OpenBSD or FreeBSD (Ok, linux if you really have to!!!)

Just my $0.02 worth!!!

icon_smile.gif

Rob

Mobile Cache Command

4525_1300.gif