How should this cache be listed?

Trendy Treasurers

This will be my first cache to list and I really wanted to be creative.... so I'm not sure if it falls under all the guidelines, if it's too "outlandish", and how to classify it (as separate caches- one traditional, one unknown; as a multi-cache ???)

The coordinates will lead you to a parking lot of a park where the cache is hidden nearby. On the cache page will be a hint to find the caches location. The cache will be a two compartment box. The top of the box will have a lock on it. On the cache page will be a riddle on how to solve the combination to the lock. Inside will be a key and copies of a treasure map. The treasure map will be drawn out with a legend that will explain that they'll need to walk in approx. one foot steps in whatever direction the map tells them. When they get to an x on the map they'll need to look for an x on the ground. Here they will find a submerged, waterproof compartment with a treasure chest that opens using the key. In the treasure chest will have a riddle to figure out the code to the original caches third compartment lock, which will contain the entry log and a very nice prize for the FTF.

I realize it's a lot of steps, but because the cache contains a key, which I will have copies of in the box (just in case), but still it is a bit more expensive to replace, so I needed the cacher to have to return to the original cache with the key in hopes they would more likely return it.

What do you guys think? Again, I'm a newbie. Will cachers not really like so many steps? How would this be listed?

First thing to do is read through all the guidelines a few times. Make sure you get a good understanding of them first. If you have already read through them then you will recall the part where GS recommends you have at least 20 finds under your belt before you place your first cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

The cache your suggesting will be a puzzle cache. But you will run into allot of maintenance issue on this cache. Keys are never a good idea. After going thru all the trouble of reaching the final cache they will likely pocket the key as a souvenir rather then return the key. Chances are you will run out of keys very fast and there may be those who just take all the keys.

I think he means submerged in the ground which is also against the rules.

I agree keys are a bad idea. I`m doing a similar cache and will have a

`reworked`ammo can fitted with an electronic combination lock. The cacher

will have to do some simple research before searching for the cache in order to

know what the combo is. The info is actually common knowledge for most people over the

age of 30. A hint will also point them in the right direction.

Simple and self contained.

B.

Instead of using key type locks, find some locks that have words for the combination. Please don't try anything underwater until you have much more experience. Combination locks that you can set the combo will work better for you.

Thanks for the advice. I can see the stress level go up when it comes to a newbie hiding a cache, which I totally understand that it's with good reason. I didn't plan on hiding one until I have more experience under my belt, but I did want to start building the box and getting permission from the park, etc. so I was trying to do as much homework as possible along the way. The advice on keys helps. If I alleviate the key, then I will also alleviate there being a need for so many steps which I feared cachers wouldn't like.

As experienced cachers, I have another question for you. When I think about placing a cache it get's my wheels turning on how to be creative in challenging the cacher mentally and/or physically... but also with the understanding that it should be hidden in a location that offers more than a shrub in some field; a place they will appreciate having visited. But as far as wanting to challenge the cacher, is that not really the primary joy in geocaching for SOME cachers, where my thinking maybe "off" and maybe I should just stick to finding them? Because, honestly, that's just how my mind works. I wouldn't enjoy just placing a cache somewhere, even if it were a place I would like to share with others. It would have to be creative. It's just... me. :0) Hopefully that inquiry makes since.

In addition to the guideline prohibiting buried caches (digging), be sure to check the guideline requiring GPS use. If the only coordinates needed are the coordinates for the parking lot, and everything else is based on clues, then you may have difficulty demonstrating GPS use.

Edit: And yes, some of us very much enjoy caches that challenge us. Your idea sounds like a wonderful geocaching adventure, as long as you can sort out a few guideline issues.

Edited by niraD
When they get to an x on the map they'll need to look for an x on the ground. Here they will find a submerged, waterproof compartment with a treasure chest that opens using the key

OK, I'm a little confused here....you say they will find an X on the ground but the cache will be submerged in the water? First, how is there an "X" on the ground? Is it something that already exists at the location or are you planning to paint a big "X" out there? Because I think that would be rejected by the reviewers.

Second, if the "X" is on the ground then where does the water come into play?

Seems mighty complicated for a first cache. I'd suggest you read the guidelines for placing a cache carefully. Then read them again. The rest of the the idea with the keys and everything seems pretty cool but where is the "X", on the ground or in the water? :huh:

When they get to an x on the map they'll need to look for an x on the ground. Here they will find a submerged, waterproof compartment with a treasure chest that opens using the key

OK, I'm a little confused here....you say they will find an X on the ground but the cache will be submerged in the water? First, how is there an "X" on the ground? Is it something that already exists at the location or are you planning to paint a big "X" out there? Because I think that would be rejected by the reviewers.

Seems mighty complicated for a first cache. I'd suggest you read the guidelines for placing a cache carefully. Then read them again. The rest of the the idea with the keys and everything seems pretty cool but where is the "X", on the ground or in the water? :huh:

Good luck working out the details...don't get so hung up on the "clever" factor that you overlook critical details like cache durability, proper camouflage and concealment, etc....a really cool cache not well hidden or not sufficently waterproof will not last long and may turn into a maintenance nightmare. Remember, this thing will be out in the elements for months or years in all weather conditions....don't make it too complicated...

I think you missed a step or two.

But that points out to a potential problem that searchers might encounter also.

I know that a lot of people will filter out any multi-caches or "unknown" types.

This one sounds a bit overly involved. Without the cache write-up in hand, I think I would get confused, too.

A lot of people don't read the cache page. A lot do "caching on the fly" with their phones.

It's wonderful that you want to place caches with some ingenuity and creativity, but that needs to be tempered with the reality of how people actually search for caches. The business of needing keys can end up being quite a catastrophe. The way I understood the setup, more than one key would be needed? Oy, that's going to be a lot of time spent replacing keys.

I would suggest that you spend some time searching for "complicated" caches like this in your area to get a feel for how things work and how many people search and find these types. Read all the logs and see if a pattern of annoyance emerges.

But don't stop coming up with these ideas. They might need some tweaking and reviewer consultation, but the other cachers in your area might end up pointing out your caches as the "must do" ones to other cachers.

This will be my first cache to list and I really wanted to be creative.... so I'm not sure if it falls under all the guidelines, if it's too "outlandish", and how to classify it (as separate caches- one traditional, one unknown; as a multi-cache ???)

The coordinates will lead you to a parking lot of a park where the cache is hidden nearby. On the cache page will be a hint to find the caches location. The cache will be a two compartment box. The top of the box will have a lock on it. On the cache page will be a riddle on how to solve the combination to the lock. Inside will be a key and copies of a treasure map. The treasure map will be drawn out with a legend that will explain that they'll need to walk in approx. one foot steps in whatever direction the map tells them. When they get to an x on the map they'll need to look for an x on the ground. Here they will find a submerged, waterproof compartment with a treasure chest that opens using the key. In the treasure chest will have a riddle to figure out the code to the original caches third compartment lock, which will contain the entry log and a very nice prize for the FTF.

I realize it's a lot of steps, but because the cache contains a key, which I will have copies of in the box (just in case), but still it is a bit more expensive to replace, so I needed the cacher to have to return to the original cache with the key in hopes they would more likely return it.

What do you guys think? Again, I'm a newbie. Will cachers not really like so many steps? How would this be listed?

If I where the reviewer for this cache it wouldn't be listed at all. The guidelines state that "GPS usage is an integral and essential element of both hiding and finding geocaches and must be demonstrated for all cache submissions". Simply posting coordinates of a parking area and providing text instructions for finding the cache does not require enough GPS usage. I'm sure most other reviewers will interpret the guideline this way too.

It sounds like it could be a fun cache with a little tweaking. Instead of putting the instructions about how to find the cache on the page, place them in a container near the parking lot and post the coordinates for that container. That will fulfill the requirement for GPS use.

The rest of it sounds OK (well I''m not so sure about the X on the ground, does that mean the cache is buried?).

An argument could be made for listing it a multi or puzzle, but I would lean toward puzzle because of all of the twists.

Before you start setting this up be sure to read the guidelines - thoroughly. I'd hate for you to go through all that work only to find out that it is rejected because you violated the guidelines.

Edited by briansnat

I am a newbie and I have found a few different kinds of finds in my 205 finds. I am dreaming up possible caches every time I see another cache. If you are the kind of person who sketches, journals or writes down notes, you might enjoy writing down all of your ideas and keeping detailed notes about what you like and don't like about caches that you find.

You will discover that the people on the forums have very strong opinions about different cache containers and locations for reasons. Different climate zones and locations require different styles of containers and hides, etc. I have been shocked at how different it was caching just 100 miles from my home using the same kinds of containers but terrain was so amazingly different.

I am very excited that you are going to use your creativity to create wonderful hides. I do agree that some experience is needed even if you do extensive computer research, nothing compares to being out in the field. Just my 2 cents.

LOL... I know it wasn't all that detailed how I described it. Sorry :0) I actually wrote a whole message explaining it in complete detail, but decided to start over and leave certain "clues" out, just in case someone in my area ends up reading this post so when they visit my cache it would then be spoiled for them. LOL Over thinker sometimes. But, I'll explain... there is a really great park nearby that not even many locals know about. The map was going to take them down the creek a ways where a large tree has fallen over the creek and I was going to ask the park if I could screw a ceramic plate on the side of it in the center of the creek that has an x on it. On the map was going to be a clue about a chain. I was going to bolt a chain under the ceramic plate and have a waterproof container attached to the chain. :0) I decided to alleviate the key idea and have the coordinates on the cache page take them directly to the cache by the parking lot. I'm still thinking about the submerged container. I do not want the entry log to be located there, because it would be to difficult for the cacher and the log could end up ruined. But I really liked the idea, so I think I'm going to have the code to the combination lock in it, so they have to return to the original cache by the parking lot to open the other compartment where the log will be located. :)

If I where the reviewer for this cache it wouldn't be listed at all. The guidelines state that "GPS usage is an integral and essential element of both hiding and finding geocaches and must be demonstrated for all cache submissions". Simply posting coordinates of a parking area and providing text instructions for finding the cache does not require enough GPS usage. I'm sure most other reviewers will interpret the guideline this way too.

It sounds like it could be a fun cache with a little tweaking. Instead of putting the instructions about how to find the cache on the page, place them in a container near the parking lot and post the coordinates for that container. That will fulfill the requirement for GPS use.

The rest of it sounds OK (well I''m not so sure about the X on the ground, does that mean the cache is buried?).

An argument could be made for listing it a multi or puzzle, but I would lean toward puzzle because of all of the twists.

Before you start setting this up be sure to read the guidelines - thoroughly. I'd hate for you to go through all that work only to find out that it is rejected because you violated the guidelines.

Thanks so much for your response. I have read and re-read guidelines, yet still I question. :0) I'm wondering if I were given the parks permission, if I screwed a ceramic plate and chain to the side of a fallen tree across a creek would be considered defacing public property. I didn't think it would be at first, but maybe it is. I just didn't see how doing that would be defacing public property anymore than digging a hole to put a wood post and some concrete in to serve as a post for cache box, which I've seen done.

Thanks, and as far as coordinates, I think I'll just have the coordinates on cache page take cachers directly to the box that will have a combo lock, which the cache page will have the info to figure code out. Then in the compartment that opens will have the treasure map that will lead them to the submerged box. In the submerged box, will be a code to open the lock on the other compartment to the original cache by the parking lot. I figure if you visit this place, you should take a stroll down the creek to fully appreciate this parks beauty :0) and you'd have to return to the parking lot eventually anyway???

I like the way you think. I bet your caches will be a lot of fun once you get them published.

I recommend that you review the guidelines again though. In particular, the guidelines against defacing/destroying property.

Thank you niraD. I did think I read and reread the guidelines, but that was a more detailed version of them.... I think. Not sure, I've saturated my brain in the last couple days reading as much as I can on geocaching. :0) After reading that, I'm pretty sure it WOULD be considered defacing property... so back to the drawing board! LOL Thanks again. :0)

Edited by Trendy Treasurers