Simple and Accurate GPS for Coordinates

pjs224

My SO and I are starting out into geocaching and are looking for a GPS unit. We've been using my car's Garmin GPS unit, but the battery life isn't great and it's very cumbersome to use. All I'm looking for is a unit where I can punch in the longitude and latitude of the cache once at the approximate location of a cache, then the GPS unit will tell us what direction to walk to and how far away it is. Heck, how about unit that just states, in real time, what my current coordinates are as I walk towards the cache? What GPS unit exists that will find my current location, take the location I punch in, and guide me to the location I just punched in? I am looking at the Magellan eXplorist GC, but will that do what I want it to do? I couldn't careless about paperless caching, holding 10K+ caches etc. I just want something cheap and simple.

Any suggestions or ideas?

-PJ

Go Garmin - the basic eTrexH (link) will do what you want.

Ok, I'll look into it, thanks!

Any other suggestions?

-PJ

Nope. +1 on the previous one if you are looking to buy new. The eTrex H is sufficiently sensitive to do the job - a good but very basic unit. Someone here said they were able to score one as a $39 close-out at Best Buy last week. Pretty much impossible to beat that.

The new Etrex 10 with a USB rather than serial link might be preferable, if it's available yet and if eTrex H's aren't being discounted enough.

If ever you want to upload cache data from a computer USB is much to be preferred to serial, especially if you're using a Mac which doesn't have serial ports. A converter costs more than the list price difference between the eTrex H and the (new/forthcoming) eTrex 10.

The new Etrex 10 with a USB rather than serial link might be preferable, if it's available yet and if eTrex H's aren't being discounted enough.

If ever you want to upload cache data from a computer USB is much to be preferred to serial, especially if you're using a Mac which doesn't have serial ports. A converter costs more than the list price difference between the eTrex H and the (new/forthcoming) eTrex 10.

The eTrex 10's GLONASS feature looks interesting. Is that worth getting? If not, I'd probably go for the eTrex H, as I don't intend to transfer data between the GPS and my computer.

And does anyone have any idea when the eTrex 10 will be released? Are we looking in the next few days or the next few months?